hope mini brakes - mine are rubbish

explosif_fan

Old School Hero
I have a set of hope minis on my RC300 with 160mm rotors and to be honest, they are rubbish! They hardly stop me, and wont endo the bike, in comparason my old XT v`s have much more power.

I had C2s with pro levers / 160mm rotors on an RC200F8 when they came out which were much better.
Is it a case of new pads, discs and fluid, or were these not any good anyway?

I'd bleed them, fit new pads and clean the discs, they should work fine then! ;) I've never had any problems with mini's, I have a set of mono's on my inbred that work a treat.

I used mini's for a few years, and they were brill .. as suggested give them a bleed.. :) really easy to do on these.. :)

If that does not improve things then have a look at upgrading the hoses and pads..

I ran Minis with goodrich hoses and they were improved even more.. ;)

What OrangeRetro said. I've got a pair which have seen serious abuse in the UK, Alps and Spain, no issues with power.

The front is a 183 rotor though which probably helps, I've never felt underbraked.

My Minis were great until I took them to Germany and rode them down a mountain.

140mm rear rotor is soon to "fade" into history as it seems to like fading so much.

Surprised to hear of problems with 160s though - my 160 front was fine but to be on the safe side I'm moving the 160 to the back and putting a 185 on the front.

minis werent great. the mono minis pistons were made of a better material that coped with the heat better. if you're riding decent size mountains 140mm is too small for a rear rotor.

Put a 180mm rotor on the front with an adapter and you'll be sorted. Nayfinesse runs a 160 front and hasn't had any problems

Minis

They are bound to seem poor compared to V's which are much sharper, but useless in the wet with little modulation, go up to 160 rotors and change from the Hope ones to a more aggressive pattern, I always found the Hope rotors seem to polish up too much and the pads struggle to bite into them. I have some of the Ti ones on which are mega lite and bite really well, with anything from gentle rub, to full lock up no problem.
To be honest though, I feel Hope are way behind the rest now and altho look pretty, are very prone to drag and boiling, Formula/Magura or Shimano are streets ahead and have much better pad life.

Back