legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
No, not that sort of moment, one of these:

As a 20 something, thought I had a good set of friends, the usual, weekends away to Creamfields and so on, down the pub or such like.

Then, when I lost my job and started as a taxi driver it all went a bit pearshaped. The hours I did meant I couldnt keep up with the social life of before and friends whom I thought were close, drifted off. Now, I bearly hear a squeak and when I can attend a barbi or something, its a lot of excuses and a no show.

Now, as a 30 something, its a lot lonelyerer out there and its difficult to adjust. They are all still there on Facebook, having a life and a family and its all 'luvly' - but, I work, go home, sleep and thats about it. My GF is lovely but I cant really do the beery fart jokes all the time and bikes just pass her by....

Is it time to quit my Facebook page and move on? Consentrate on the 'real' world and make sure I look after the good stuff?

Sorry, its that post sunday dinner funk...

without waning to sound like a cliche, life is a funny old game!
things move in cycles & its inevitable that people you were close to at some time in the past you might not necessarily see now. but due to things like facebook you can still say hello once in a while ;)
personally i wouldn't give up on it because if you feel a tad lonely now cutting all ties with old aquaintances isn't going to make things better.
maybe change the way you use it ie only go on there when you have got something important to say or maybe use it to set up a group local to you that actually meet up & do something?
even something as mundane as bowling can be a laugh with the right mix of people ;)
sounds like working odd hours isn't helping but maybe take time off even only once a month that gives you an opportunity to get out & do something with friends
i'm guessing you like riding? well plenty of people have regular rides at weekends, maybe one sunday a month make a point of arranging to tag along with people from on here's regular rides?
choose different groups each time. that way you'll meet LOADS of new people who wont be total strangers as some of them you'll know from online but even the ones you don't, you already share a common bond with the bike thing so there's no better icebreaker.
chuck yourself into a hobby. even if you can't participate that often there's always plenty of online guff to keep you interested ;)

not sure any of thats any help or even makes sense but hopefully helps a bit

everyones a bit down this time of year (SAD ) so you're not alone :)

A hobby...

on RetroBIKE...

:LOL: :LOL:

Yeah, I know, I think I can be a bit too much of a 'by myself type' and should show my face more.

I'm an expert in on-line guff.

Cheers...

legrandefromage":144ppxhi said:
Is it time to quit my Facebook page and move on? Consentrate on the 'real' world and make sure I look after the good stuff?

Well, I still don't "get" all this Facebook stuff - I think that it's a load of bollocks, which is why I don't subscribe to or use any of that stuff. I just think that it's all too puerile....and this is coming from someone who still plays in bands and goes out and gets covered in crap on bikes ;)

Apart from that, because I work for myself, on my own and often from home, a week or more can go by and I don't see or talk to anyone (other than my wife, Karen). This is one reason why I keep on with my music, as I find the social aspects give me a real lift when otherwise I'd find it all too easy to sink deeper and deeper into a more and more depressed state.
Most of the mountain bikers round here are all into the "night riding" thing at the minute, but I don't have hundreds of pounds to spare to spend on lights so I don't join in with that. One of my few good friends does enjoy the same kind of bike riding that I do (we're both ex trials and enduro riders and seem to have the same mindset) and we do get out whenever his shift work allows us to be free at the same time.

I blame winter for a lot of this - I'm just longing to feel some warm sun on my old bones and, although I have some of the best riding there is right on my doorstep, sometimes I curse my luck at being born somewhere that has such long and wet winters.

Yes, I know all the "just get on with it" stuff and I do just that, if for no other reason than I'm only too aware of the fact that I don't have that much longer to be able to do any of it with any sort of style :cool: . That's the most depressing thought of all actually. So I do concentrate on the "real" stuff and value and cherish the good days (and good friends) and hope that sort of blanks out all the crap. It usually works....and anyway, summer is coming :cool:

this does sound like a lot of winter blues.

It's like when you wake up in the night and all your problems seem so much worse. In the morning, the sun is up they seem smaller somehow.

Winter is just one long night...

as you say, roll on Spring, my favourite season :D

facebook made me feel like a bit of a failure when i realised i was supposed to be married to a super model and working as a doctor in the south american jungle etc.

i'm in a similar position to you.

where are you from?, i'll be your bud

WTF is a Facebook?

You need to come to some Retrobike meets mate. I am and have always been quite a loner. I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere, have worked for myself and on my own for years and now live in a little cottage miles from anywhere. I moved 150 miles about 10 years ago and have lost touch with many good friends. I try to keep a bit of balance though- I like my own company but getting out on the RB rides down Yorkshire has been great. Everyone who comes is an absolute pleasure to meet and get to know- it helps make up for me being an anti social bastard the rest of the time too. Give it a go, you'll love it!

Do any of your old pals have a cmmon interest? If so you need something special- an event of some sort. Many of my old pals over the years were interested in motor racing- some are not. We all get together once a year, no excuses, no matter where we are in the world or what we are doing and meet up at Le Mans for the 24hr race. We probably have nothing else in common these days but it's just a great way to keep in touch. Its the highlight of our year now and even friends that couldn't give a toss about cars now come. Just find something thats a big enough draw and do it!

Si

Andy R":29huuwfx said:
Well, I still don't "get" all this Facebook stuff - I think that it's a load of bollocks, which is why I don't subscribe to or use any of that stuff. I just think that it's all too puerile....

Ditto...well said ;)

Back