Chaser's Raleigh Dyna-Tech now restored [spec' added]

sinnett177":2adpxior said:
Have you ridden it yet chaser? The big surprise with these is how well they ride, I ride so much faster on mine than my old alpinestars (RIP). Out of interest what size frame is it?

Finish it off like people have suggested and get it in BoTM, think you'll be surprised by it's success.

Yes, I have already done a few rides [4 or 5 varying between 15 and 20] miles - and fell of too :cry: Only damaged the H/bar grip thank goodness.

It rides really well as you say, feels very stiff when pedaling hard, no sideways flex. Quite compliant over bumps on the back end too.

The real shock was going back to a rigid fork, narrow bars, long stem.. I really have to concentrate - feels like a cyclocross! Steering is really nice with no feeling of the front wheel 'tucking' on tight turns [even with the 140mm stem]

I really love riding this bike... I keep getting stopped by people asking what it is / how old is it / why am i riding in football boots ;) No, really, it does attract a lot of attention - Gary Foord saw it and really liked it, said it was a very pretty bike and really took him back in time.

Doesn't quite have the credentials of your steed though Sinnett.

The size is 16" centre of BB to Centre of TT or 17" from centre of BB to top of seat tube. I think it is an inch smaller than yours judging by the line of the TT over the rear tyre.

Where abouts up north are you?

Chaser.

MadCowKev":4ronvlow said:
Nice work. I'd agree with the polished seatpost comments. Saddle choice is very subjective (for a rider)

I'd like to see amberwall tyres but then I always say that. :roll:

Looks like it is 100% vote for polished SP.

Thanks, I totally agree with you about amber wall tyres - I just could not find some nice light ones...

I also like 'bronze' Conti's too - I have one 1.9 Cross country in my garage with hardly any wear, I just can't find another one.

I have also seen some Pana' XC Pro with amber wall but they are a bit 'late' for this bike eh?

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Chaser

chaser":lfelvtgc said:
MadCowKev":lfelvtgc said:
Nice work. I'd agree with the polished seatpost comments. Saddle choice is very subjective (for a rider)

Thanks, I totally agree with you about amber wall tyres - I just could not find some nice light ones...

I also like 'bronze' Conti's too - I have one 1.9 Cross country in my garage with hardly any wear, I just can't find another one.

I have also seen some Pana' XC Pro with amber wall but they are a bit 'late' for this bike eh?

Chaser

Think conti call it dura skin and IIRC guybe had some 1.9's, should get a use post and a flite easily enough too :cool:

chaser":2yjnbf95 said:
The real shock was going back to a rigid fork, narrow bars, long stem.. I really have to concentrate - feels like a cyclocross! Steering is really nice with no feeling of the front wheel 'tucking' on tight turns [even with the 140mm stem]

The size is 16" centre of BB to Centre of TT or 17" from centre of BB to top of seat tube. I think it is an inch smaller than yours judging by the line of the TT over the rear tyre.

Where abouts up north are you?

Sounds like you've got the same set up as me. Mine is 18" so will be very similar.

I'm up in Rossendale near Blackburn. Perhaps we should have meet sometime at Cannock or something, maybe even a best of british retrobike ride!

On the subject of tyres I have a pair of Conti traction pro's 2.0" in bronze wall (?), i'd be wiling to swap the pair for your cross country 1.9"?

Hi Sinnett,

Good MTB territory! I lived in Wigan for a while before moving to Cannock - I used to ride up around your way, but mostly up Rivington, nr Bolton.

Yes, a Best of British retro ride would be great - If you fancy a trip down to the Chase again just let me know... I can show you the 'old' Chase which we still ride a lot as well as doing the more well known 'Follow the Dog'

BTW, I forgot until now how great bar end are for climbing - I wonder why they lost favour with most riders. Fashion I guess.

Sorry, I will keep the XC 1.9 , I never got on with the Tractions. Thanks for the offer though.

;)

Chaser

kaiser":r6o2sgtp said:
chaser":r6o2sgtp said:
MadCowKev":r6o2sgtp said:

Chaser

Think conti call it dura skin and IIRC guybe had some 1.9's, should get a use post and a flite easily enough too :cool:

Sorry to be ignorant, I'm still a newbie. What is IIRC? :?

I will give Guybe a try for the tyres.

Thanks,

Chaser.

Back