1995 Sunn Radical 2 FULL BIKE PICS 05-09-2010

lewis1641":1d3myz1a said:
that looks ace. good luck with the build. is do you definately need chroming or can you polish instead. as far as i know it is no longer possible to get anything chromed in the uk ( so i was told by an alloy wheel refurbisher)

Due to the cost of re-chroming, its availability and after inspecting the original finish I think I will be leaving the original chrome.

The gusset underneath the head tube (an unfortunate water trap) will be filled with white vinegar and left to soak to remove the rust already there (a 24hour soak should do it) other areas will be masked. I will then clean with water, dry, clear coat and oil to protect it.

I hope to restore the overall lustre by polishing with Canola oil and aluminium foil on damaged areas and canola and a soft cloth on undamaged areas, then I will move onto Mother's or Meguiars chrome polish with a soft cloth to finish.

The chrome won't be perfect as it has some chips but I think it will look good. It'd look better with new decals. Any ideas there? I tried Gil_M but got no repsonse, does he still do reproduction commissions?

sounds like you know what you are on with. whats the deal with white vinegar? not heard of that before. is it effective? am i being stupid but is it white vinegar as in a white version of what you put on yer chips?

as for decals, i'm sure gil_m still does them but i think he's a busy guy so give him a bit of time. if i were you i'd try and trace your decals then at least you have something to work from if all else fails.

dave

lewis1641":q2p2vlj2 said:
sounds like you know what you are on with. whats the deal with white vinegar?

Hi Dave

If you are interested in restoring chrome, here are a few rust removal techniques from a thread where I got my ideas from (though there are many other websites which cite these methods too as white vinegar is an excellent cleaner).

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/ind ... c=27022076

White vinegar in the UK is called distilled malt vinegar and should be available most places (it's clear, hence the white part). I tried it out previously on some vintage Primo bmx pegs. It works ok. Just follow the instructions in the above thread and don't leave your parts in to long. I'd ideally use citric acid powder but I am just doing a local treatment and have some white vinegar to hand.

As for decals. I am not good with computer programs so don't know how to trace the decals. I can remove them with a heat gun for reproduction and I have a lot of old logo scans and images which (with the right skills) could be assembled into the missing decals. I'll just crack on with the rest of the stuff and wait for Gil to be less busy.

cheers

that link is grand!

i meant trace them physically with a piece of paper and a pencil whilst they are still on the frame. that way youy still have some sort of reference point ig the originals are damaged when removing them.

dave

lewis1641":ia9hz8de said:
that link is grand!

Corduroyboy":ia9hz8de said:
That's a cracking rust removal thread

Just a word of warning before you try these methods. The rust is removed by acid. Controlling the mixture is crucial to the removal process and protecting yourself from the acid and by products e.g. fumes is also paramount.

Please read the info very carefully. I can help with mixtures etc. if needed but all you need is in there.

Brakes: xtr front, LX rear?

They look like something pretty lowly to me - Acera or similar.

Brake Levers: XTR???

Something Dia-Compey.

Pedals: LX??

Good old 737s in the pic.

MikeD":3bs1d2q7 said:
Brakes: xtr front, LX rear?

They look like something pretty lowly to me - Acera or similar.

Brake Levers: XTR???

Something Dia-Compey.

Pedals: LX??

Good old 737s in the pic.

I think the front brakes are XT and the rears are LX. The brake levers were identified as Diacompe PC11's in the wanted thread by tiboltrider123.

Thanks for the pedal ID though.

PD-M737's...

PD-M737.jpg

I started cleaning my forks today, I haven't finished because I didn't have long, but it's a start.

Before...

Restoration001-1.jpg

Restoration003.jpg

After...

Restoration004-1.jpg

Restoration006-1.jpg

Restoration008-1.jpg

I have been a bit to busy to do much and have been waiting on some bits before making a start but...

The other day I completed the frames disassembly and received my new chrome polish. I bought the Maas brand which is a wipe on wipe off type.

I only had about 45 minutes to work on it last night but managed to get half the front triangle done. I'll post before and after pics asap.

I have a straddle cable and seat lined up on ebay and along with a few more bits currently in the post I am nearly ready to build.

Oh, I still need to send my rear swing arm and spring off for repair and paint though.

Oh and get the decals sorted. :roll:

Back