trying to give up smoking, and failing! how you doing?

quit 6 months ago, had been smoking 5 years including a 2 year stint in france when i was smoking 30 a day.

started on the champix, they worked in that the made me feel really sick. stopped taking those after a week but kept off the fags.

it gets really easy after about 3 months i reckon.

My sister's a doctor, she says that coming off nicotine is hard as the withdrawal symptoms last about 3-6 months. Heroin by comparison is about 1-2 weeks!

At least now pubs etc are smoke-free so there is less temptation.

couple of things that helped me quit.
I used to take one deep lungful then immediately put the fag out and go clean my teeth and wash my hands .
The next time the craving got to bad to resist instead of lighting up a fresh fag I relit the old dogend. Boy did that dogend stink awful .It reinforced why I wanted to give up because everything stinks of stale smoke and fagends.
It took 3-4 days and I quit completely.
To help over the first few weeks I always kept some sweets around to suck .
Also I found it helpful to do 6-10 pressups or pullups whenever the craving got bad . By the time I finished I wouldn't have enough puff to breathe let alone smoke.
oh and I just remembered I used to suck hard on a pencil and draw that imaginary smoke down into my lungs. Funny thing it almost felt like a fag
good luck mate

quit 4 years ago. moved into a newly renovated rented flat (my first place) and bought a decent van at the same time and didnt want either to stink. i read a book my a guy called allan carr (not the teeth and glasses allen carr) and it really helped.

nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs and it can be difficult to get off.

the book is great because it doesnt say "you smell, you are killing yourself, you are weak", it says film makers, advertisers and governments are complete a**eholes.

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/8614 ... oduct.html

it was the best £6 i ever spent and i strongly urge you to read it. it really is that good.

HALLO! so happy, i made all through yesterday without a cig! i know its taken a while but the combination of a stressful job and the credit crunch is taken its tole (i'm good with excusses, lol) but i did it! am so happy, going to do today with out one, and the next and so on. the tester will be on saturday nite as were going out for a friends birthday. so hopefully i'll remain strong and not let the alchole sway me (in all sense of the term). but alas i finally made the start! :D :D cheers for all the comments, it really does help! ;)

safe trails

I stopped smoking about a year ago although I was only ever a social smoker (booze and fags went hand in hand). The advice on here is all good, particularly how stupid you look sheltering in a door way in the pissing rain trying to light a fag when your mates are inside in the warm dry pub! :)

Found out earlier this week that my friend's mum has got lung cancer, :( if I was still smoking that news would have stopped me in my tracks!

It is simply a smelly, dirty habit that makes you poor and ill!

Hope that motivates you. :)

Back