New retro Eddy Merckx build

Jerome

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Afternoon everybody,
Please see below for a few pictures of my new build.
Frame is a 1993 Eddy Merckx corsa slx, this was a custom build I picked up supposedly measured by the man himself. Geometry is unlike anything you would get now, with laid back angles, and loads of toe overlap. Really nice for all day riding. Full chrome rear triangle was an option.
Most of the dura ace bits were sourced from Ed of these parts, a real gent. Seatpost and cranks needed some polishing, and rings, cassette, chain are non original.
I have some NOS levers to replace the current ones.
Also the bar/stem will change when I get some 26.0 cinelli bars, either to an XA or a dura ace that I have.
Tyres a bit embarrasing aswell, but that was all I have.
Frame was well used by me for a few years with some newer kit, and will keeping riding it as it is.
Cheers then.
Jerome

Attachments

• DSC00654 (Large).JPG
    DSC00654 (Large).JPG
    79 KB · Views: 1,184
  • DSC00659 (Large).JPG
    DSC00659 (Large).JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,184
  • DSC00660 (Large).JPG
    DSC00660 (Large).JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,184
Yup, very nice. I like that colour scheme (along with the green red and white version). Needs some skinwall tyres to finish it off really. Schwalbe still do some I think.

looks spot on!

Interesting how your frame has different braze ons and an external rear brake cable vs my stock corsa extra from the same era.

Veloflex tyres would be perfect. And are those calipers dual pivots??

That is very, very smart.

Tell me, do you have an XA stem that you could use, or would you need one? I have one that looked wrong for the build that I bought it for so I got a 1A instead. You could have the XA if you need it.

Cheers, Gareth.

Top job Jerome, looking super sweet.

I've had two Corsa's of that era, both a little too small. I'll get one that fits eventually :oops:

Thanks gents.
I have an XA.
Just need the bars.
Doesn't look quite right at the mo.
Agree with the amber tyres - will keep my eyes open.
Oh and I have to say thay my girlfriend took the photos, was not chuffed that I did not credit her.
Cheers then
Jerome

Good point.
Will look out for some single pivot calipers.
Was not really thinking about being super authentic, used the bits I ended up with. Worth changing the brakes though.
Think this was how Sean Yates had his team bike, even with the advent of STI/ dual pivot, he was using the older stuff.
If it is good enough for him, and he is local to me, seen him TT a few times.
New pics when completed.
Jerome

Back