Trying to go 'green' and travel by rail:

I drive a Taxi - possibly one of the most polluting forms of transport. Some of my journies are less than a mile which means my car is at its most inefficent, most polluting.

The rail companies are so unreliable they send there own supplies via the road network!

As mentioned earlier in this topic as long as the bus/rail infrastructure are in private hands it will never be reliable as its all about profit margins.

legrandefromage":1pmimipg said:
I drive a Taxi - possibly one of the most polluting forms of transport. Some of my journies are less than a mile which means my car is at its most inefficent, most polluting.

...............but as a part of a well designed integrated transport system your taxi has it's place.

A taxi certainly isn't the most polluting form of transport and just because you make short journeys doesn't mean your car is at it's most inefficient. If people who only made short journeys 90% of the time used taxis instead of their own cars (if a bus isn't an option), then only one car would be starting from cold (once a day) instead of dozens and fewer vehicles would be on the road (or being produced).

mtbfix":17y8ucby said:
So long as the rail service is in private hands there is no brighter future. To get the investment they need to show profit returns and giving profit away in dividends is counter to constant improvement.

Amazing that the Semiconductor, Consumer Electronics, Telecoms industries manage to offer more, better and cheaper every year then...in the private sector.

:D

Most governments and civil service departments seem waaay more inefficient than the private sector. That's because of the darwinism of the market.

The problem is that the private rail companies only have 10 year franchises, which means that they are not exactly incentivised to think long-term.
The market isn't the solution to everything, far from it but don't think that governments have all the answers either. The old BR was truly ghastly with trains that were frankly a health hazard.

I work on the railways and therefore me and the Mrs get free travel (near enough) throughout Europe :D

Back