europe in a caravan

id dont get so cold in greece ;)
and price is a issue as need to keep as much in the bank as i can for living costs

rob

Some good ideas, but (assuming that your house is even vaguely rentable) I'd be tempted to rent out the house - even if it just covers the mortgage, at least you are keeping a valuable asset and getting closer to the free accommodation that comes after 25 years* of mortgage payments.

Good luck. Have fun.

*That's assuming that you just make the basic payments. By overpaying by (only) 10% each month, I'd paid off the repayment mortgage on my first house in just over 12 years.

Would the motor home be better for max? At least the 3 of you would be together most of the time, how would he be in a hot van trundling about with nobody about? He's quite young isn't he?

max in the van?????? :shock: :shock: :shock:
not a chance chap he will be in the car (im sure its illegal to have pets in a moving caravan anyway :? )
and he is 18 months and 48kilos now so he is strong little chap :cool:

MAXTHEROTTI":6k1lgtrq said:
id dont get so cold in greece ;)

rob

That depends on where you're thinking of in Greece. Winter temperatures in parts of the Greek mainland (and islands for that matter) sometimes aren't much (if any) higher than here - put it this way, I've seen sleet and snow at our place and that's fairly near the coast, a long way south (the Southern Peloponnese) and only at 400 metres.

In regions like Zagoria the winters can be really bitter, and the residents of Tripoli reckon that they have the worst winters in all of Greece (I don't believe it though... ;) )
This time of year, no matter how nice the days can be (sometimes !!) you'll be glad of heat once the sun goes down - something like a nice Eberspacher heater then.......

I'd go for the decent motorhome option over a car and caravan any day, especially if you want to venture off major roads and explore mountain villages and the like. Caravans and narrow switchbacks don't work well together.

Of course, if you've established yourself somewhere and have mains hookup, you can have electric fan heaters. But IMO a caravan is only feasible in the summer.

Got a caravan - but not done Europe in it yet.

Get a good one with lots of space in case it rains / pisses on you.

Check if it comes with an awning etc - older canvas ones are f***ing massive when packed - ours fills the car roof box. A newer tent fabric one with lite weight legs will be better space & weight wise.

Both my folks & the in-laws have a campervans, they'd agree the repacking to do day trips is a pain - BUT you can tow a small car, (on a trailer), for the day to day stuff behind motorhomes, see:
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=18
http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-2119.html

There's also a load of free camp sites in France & elsewhwere for motorhomes, (but not caravans), which will allow you a few nites stay in a town - these are maintained by the local council on the assumption you'll spend a bit in the locality. Will check with inlaws re website if needed.

Wasn't one of the MTB teams flogging their old motorhome / support truck??
[Damn can't find the article - but I think it was on bikeradar or something]

Whichever way you go - good luck.

M.

will 100% be a caravan
i will be living in this thing for at least 6 months (i hope)
will be looking at 26 foot twin axle vans so plenty of space and will be having a full awning for it (cant have a wet max running around in the van :shock: )
i just dont like the idea of a motor home and to compete with a 26ft caravan would need a big (meaning very expensive) motorhome

rob

Latest posts

Back