europe in a caravan

bike/tent is not a option as the wife demands some luxury left lol (her own loo and shower being at the top of that list)
and having max in a back pack could prove a tad hard lol :shock:
as for cheaper costs
i will work to cover places to stay
wife can work for pocket money we will need (food/fuel/dog needs :shock: ) etc
fuel is cheaper over there and its lpg converted
parking aint a issue its a rangie throw it in the nearest ditch lol
as for rebuying in 3 years time i wont do that i shall rent
i see no point in me paying a mortgage and all the maintenance costs of a house when i can rent for the same money and if the boiler packs or window falls out it will be someone else,s money fixing it and not mine ;)

rob

Why not do Europe in a narrowboat, same caravan feel to it but not as expensive,and you can go from france to the Baltic, theres many interlinking canals through most countries,plus you can add all that driving time between your destinations[if more than 1] to the time spent on board enjoying yourself
99% of your destinations will be beside a pub and boaty people are a better /nicer class of individual than you will find at most campsites :D
Easier to pump out the toilet without risk of 'accidents' :LOL: :LOL:

PLUS ,and this is the best bit
As only one is needed to steer ,and as you have a canal path running along beside you ,others in your party can ride on ahead or make other such bike related merriment as you potter along beside them.

Sold it to you yet ;)

I live on a narrowboat. Brilliant life.
But much, much more expensive than a caravan. To go to France you need to spend a couple of grand craning it onto a proper ship - people **have** taken narrowboats across the English channel, but lots of them haven't made it.
Plus, they cost a lot of money, and need a lot of upkeep, unless you don't care about them only being worth 10p when you're finished traveling.
But if you like the idea and want to chat about narrowboats or a look at mine, feel free to PM me. ;)

narrow boat is a non starter for me :?
not enough freedom (i have to go where the canal goes and yes i know i have to follow the road in a caravan but there are more roads than canals)
as for camp site people i wont be using camp sites very much if i can help if (will try and get deals with farmers i work for somewhere to park up etc)
and as stated much more expensive to buy/set up (caravan will be approx 7k ready to go and that will be a nice (ish) van with a big awning etc all ready have the tow car)
and im not a great lover of the water either :shock:

rob

First off:

MAXTHEROTTI":17kur7z8 said:
Europe in a caravan
It wont fit, it was a tight enough squeeze with just 2 of us last time I used one!

Secondly and more seriously...best of luck to you I'm actually jealous of the levels of impending freedom your about to set off into! I was made redundant and have found myself straight back into a new job, in a new town where I dont know any one...would have taken it easier and done something I wanted to do rather than what my bank manager demand I do :(

JeRkY":qlbyjcn2 said:
First off:

MAXTHEROTTI":qlbyjcn2 said:
Europe in a caravan
It wont fit, it was a tight enough squeeze with just 2 of us last time I used one!
quote]

classic :D :D :D
its kinda scary to be completely honest :shock:
but i have worked hard all my life and had a crap run of it for the last 5 years or so (redundancys/stroke/heart ops etc etc) that i now feel me and the mrs need some fun :p
granted i will take a dive on the house and prob loose all the money i put down on it but thats better than killing myself for £5 a hour to keep it :?
and yes leaving the comfort of knowing what i must do every day to not knowing what i will do tomorow is also a bit off a unknown but really exciting too.
of course if i dont loose my job i wont be unhappy either lol

The very best of luck to you.

Hi mate
All the very best of luck to you and your lady.
Being an Aussie I would say buy a motorhome rather than a caravan, but that could be an Aussie thing as I have a Volkswagon van :cool:
I am sure you will not regret it as you seem to be starting with the right attitude.
Who knows where you will be and what you will be doing in 5 years time.
Lifes big adventure, scary but to some irresistable.
I arrived in Britain/Europe 7 years ago with my backpack and my road racer and where I am at the moment and what I have done inbetween I could not have imagined and some things not always good but from those you learn.
As some one once told me:
Brave men dont live forever, cautious men dont live at all.

Jamie

the wife also says motor home but the mechanic side of me says car and van combo is better (at least if the car engine blows i can have it pulled out and changed in a garage without worrying where im going to sleep that night ;) )
and if we want to go to a beauty spot 20 miles away i wont have to pack all the kit away to get there and the car will be easyer to park in towns etc

well thats my thinking anyway lol

rob

Depends how much moving about you want to do.
The caravan is definitely cheaper.
But lining out your own van is better for moving around and camping stealthily, plus you can fit a woodburner. Caravans get cold!

Back