Is this a Trek?

garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180318129847

No decals at all and the dropout/hanger and headtube look suspect. I emailed the seller and it takes 27.2mm seatpost and 68mm BB - whereas I thought most OCLVs were 31.6mm and 73mm, resp.

In fact, it looks more like a Giant than a Trek, though I suspect it's more likely to be a no-name far-east carbon. I might take a punt if the price stays way low though.

Cheers, Gareth.

Attachments

• f321_1.JPG
    f321_1.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 784
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I cant be sure but the drop out will give a clue. I thought that the OCLV had the decals etched in rather than stickers, or somthing like that.

Trek?

Dont really know about trek but it doesnt look like any Giant I know of or have seen.
Mikes right in saying not to bid as it is suspect as currently listed.
You could ask for a frame number and then check with Trek.

Jamie

Don't think that it's a Giant as they never sprayed them black like that. They were either a matt or gloss carbon finish. They also didn't use a specific BB front mech mount whereas I believe that Trek did at one point. I'm not saying that it's a Trek though.

Also I believe that newer Trek OCLVs do have removable dropouts.

The point is moot however, as I wouldn't bid on it anyway. Not enough feedback and photos that look like they've been taken on a mobile phone. If I was going to bid I'd ask for some better photos at least.

I asked him. He told me it was a one off prototype based on the 9.8 model which sounded crap to me. If you knew that why leave the price at £50.

There is something very wrong there!!

Definitely crap. Trek would never let someone buy a prototype from them especially as they couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't suddenly fail.

This is his exact reply:

Hi,
This is a one design concept frame that trek produced, it is based on the the trek 9.8. a full carbon frame and one of the lightest frames they have ever produced!

Mmmmm!!!

re:

it might be some prototype, but how did he manage to get hold of it?

I knew a couple of people still running around on prototyps from a swedish brand, but thoose bikes are indeed a lot of Bianchis painted orange or litespeed with some orange paint on them. because it's the same owner for crescent and bianchi. it's today practically the same road bikes, just when orange a couple of quid cheaper then the italian brand. probarly because they are more freight costs for them, or that they want to market bianchi as a exlusive trademark?

anyways thoose people running prototypes all know some pro racer or someone high up in the factory...

Back