Mercian cycles and paint codes, painter in Nottingham area.

Further to what Anthony has just said, I used Hutchcoat, just outside of York, admittedly they are about 100 miles from Nottingham.They are primarily an industrial and motorcycle coating firm, but have moved into the bike market.
They stripped the frame, filled the dents with braize then gave the frame a base powder coat of white, with another coat of fluorescent Orange with a white paint fade, which was then laquered over the top.
They do use the RAL paint codes, but owing to the cost of powder, £250 per tin, if they don't have it in there could have an issue.
With my Orange they went to a supplier and asked for a sample of the fluorescent orange to test, which they then put on my frame and forks. They were very attentive to what I wanted and also delivered it for a very keen price. They even removed the bits of the bike that I couldn't!

Had my Dekerf sprayed by them and probably wouldn't go there again.
I live in Nottingham so if you want to take a look at the results drop me a line.

Jon

Eddisons in Clowne are as good as Mercian, but a lot nicer to deal with.
The owner was one of Carlton's top framebuilders BITD.
It's called Eddisons because his dad was called Eddie. :)

i had a new seat tube and would never ever go there again,even though they brass filled a dent for free with out me asking,their repair was crap and the brazing cracked after 3 rides

dek1165":289dhvey said:
Had my Dekerf sprayed by them and probably wouldn't go there again.
monsterfatuk":289dhvey said:
i had a new seat tube and would never ever go there again
When you say "them" and "there" do you mean Mercian? I know Mercian's the builder in the thread title, but Argos, Colourtech, Eddison, Jackson, and others are all mentioned above in the thread, and it's not clear who you're replying to.

Interested, because my '56 Mercian will want an overhaul one of these days, and sending it home to Derby seems like the obvious choice.

Sorry, it was Mercian. Some area's of the paint are a bit thin, one of the drop outs is a bit of a mess and it chips bloody easily too. I thought the original paint was fragile......
On the flip side my mate had his Clockwork painted by Mercian and the results were good.
Still wouldn't go back though.

i was also on about mercian sorry to confuse you,they had my yo to replace a seat tube it was done eventualy after about 3 months and for some reason they brazed in a seat clamp which obviously it didnt come with.The brazing cracked after 3 rides and had to be redone and the lady on the phone had never ever heard of a ral code :shock: Go to argos or one of the above ;)

monsterfatuk":1550jamq said:
i was also on about mercian sorry to confuse you,they had my yo to replace a seat tube it was done eventualy after about 3 months and for some reason they brazed in a seat clamp which obviously it didnt come with.The brazing cracked after 3 rides and had to be redone and the lady on the phone had never ever heard of a ral code :shock: Go to argos or one of the above ;)
Yes, but you should be grateful they worked on it at all. Sounds to me as though you took them one of those wierd modern Mowntane Bikes that have TIG welds and so forth. And the trouble with those is you never know where they've been, so you have to wear a clothes peg in your nose and so forth in case you catch something tropical off them. Can be nasty I've heard tell. And the trouble then is that with the clothes peg and so forth, you can't see the work properly and inevitably mistakes can happen in such trying circumstances as that and so forth. But it doesn't matter because of course all these wierd Mowntane Bikers are on drugs anyway, so they wouldn't know whether you'd repaired the frame or not and so forth. Best avoided really, usually tell them we don't do repairs to them TIG welds and we just do proper bikes and so forth.

I did ask them when i collected it why didnt you tig it,should of seen the look i got from the bloke :evil: ,i also comented that they never said a word about not doing tig when i phoned up or dropped it of,all he said was --yyyeeaarr wweell wwee ddoonntt ddoo ttiigg wweellddiinngg,wwee oonnllyy ddoo bbrraazziinngg

Back