anyone going to NAHBS Indianapolis?

I would love to go. I always get great hints on my modern builds from this show. Personally I prefer the american builders shows to the European ones as I always find them to be fresher and more innovative where as the Euro ones are always so old and boring (UK builders do nothing new ever, Italians just add more crazy colours to overly fancy frames, German builders just add more fenders and dynamos than anyone else...)

But surely you meant to post this link rather than your one?:

http://www.handmadebicycleshow.com/nahb ... uild02.htm

pete_mcc":2gfkhl1e said:
I would love to go. I always get great hints on my modern builds from this show. Personally I prefer the american builders shows to the European ones as I always find them to be fresher and more innovative where as the Euro ones are always so old and boring (UK builders do nothing new ever, Italians just add more crazy colours to overly fancy frames, German builders just add more fenders and dynamos than anyone else...)

But surely you meant to post this link rather than your one?:

http://www.handmadebicycleshow.com/nahb ... uild02.htm

;) but that's really not the only reason, some other great builders around again this year.

What is alway truely amazing is the waiting lists of some of these guys:

Richard Sachs - 6 years, list now closed
Vanilla - 5 years, list now closed
Rody - list as long as your arm, 5 years?
Jeff Jones - 6 years, list now closed

The only comparison I can think of is with a Rolex Daytona watch where the waiting list is 6 years to get one. These builders are like the Rolex of the bike world, scary!

pete_mcc":27depjkl said:
What is alway truely amazing is the waiting lists of some of these guys:

Richard Sachs - 6 years, list now closed
Vanilla - 5 years, list now closed
Rody - list as long as your arm, 5 years?
Jeff Jones - 6 years, list now closed

Scary!

Rody's not too bad (.. for now :roll: )

the build list is still hovering around 12 months for frames and about 24 months for small parts and restos, so plan ahead.

yo-eddy":1mqtx2dp said:
Rody's not too bad (.. for now :roll: )

the build list is still hovering around 12 months for frames and about 24 months for small parts and restos, so plan ahead.

Right, I'll relegate him down to the Omega of the bike builders world for now..... Still 24 months is a long time, and it's only going to get longer as he builds up a base and creates more products.

You can see why guys like Jones and Sacha at Vanilla end up going into partnership with others to meet the need. Although personally I feel that that is pandering to the fashion crowd a bit too much, I much prefer the Sachs approach in that if you buy his bike it'll be built by him and no-one else.

What I really love about these shows are the show bikes - much like the ones that used to grace the bike MTB shows years back (remember the Specialized concept bikes, the byrillium bike, the Onza bike etc?)

just did a dumb thing, checked my work rota and i have those days off and correct me if i'm wrong but aren't there a few cheap flights about at the mo, what airport would i have to fly into? (have no idea about US airports) i saw pics last year and thought to myself, hmm, must go to that at some point in my life!

jonnyboy666":2akcll51 said:
just did a dumb thing, checked my work rota and i have those days off and correct me if i'm wrong but aren't there a few cheap flights about at the mo, what airport would i have to fly into? (have no idea about US airports) i saw pics last year and thought to myself, hmm, must go to that at some point in my life!

Indianapolis airport will do, reasonably cheap flights from Holland also at the moment :)

just been looking on the various cheap flight sites as after checking the rota and finding those days free it would be a little rude of me if i didn't investigate the possibilty of going!! :D

i'd have to fly out on the 27th after 12pm here and fly back on the evening of the 1st so i'd have 1 day to see the show and 1 day to have a look around indianapolis before heading back to the airport to arrive home the next day. flight is about £370 which doesn't sound to bad and i have just completely paid off the credit card and will get 3 days overtime this month so i feel it might be fate that i should go! ;)

yo eddy, are you gonna go? or just thinking about it? i never have any trouble going to places like this on my own but it would be cool to meet up with a fellow retrobiker for a cold beer or 6 during or after the show! :D

Back