Wheel building Jig...

The Ken

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I'm looking at building some wheels - can anyone recommend a jig?

I'm considering this...

Minoura True Pro Wheel Truing Kit..

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1054

It needs to be foldable and useable with out clamping to a table top.
and hopefully contain all the stuff I need for the job.

I've got 4 wheels to build and the £120 quid it will cost me is more than the spokes and jig together so a new skill is going to be learned.

tn2_aparato201.jpg

i wouldnt waste my time or money with a "kit" , especially one that lacks an offset screwdriver . 90% of the process is spent with the wheel on your lap putting the spokes in and counting the turns on the nipples anyway

wheels arnt "built" on stands they are trued . the only usefull thing there is the dishing tool and they can be made easily enough

if your using all new parts then just get a dishing tool and offset screwdriver . your frame/forks will be fine with a few zip ties ( as long as they arnt bent :LOL: ) its unlikely you will have any up/down in the rim if you put it together correctly before it gets anywhere near a stand

I'd agree with that. Popping them back into the frame for truing and dish checking has always worked fine for me.

Whats that!

The best thing to do with a Gary fisher award!

Al, :D

ps. I am so sorry! :roll:

shops have stands mostly due to having to sort out little johnnys factory wheels that have spent just as much time with a lawnmover resting on them as they had getting bashed up kerbs

if the nipples arnt seized then the rim is dented and deformed due to the owner never having the foresight to learn the principal of a spoked wheel . you dont want to spend any more than 20mins on those wheels so it gets bunged in the stand

get the park book

I'd agree with everyone here. I have built so many wheels over the years but have used the same £20 stand for them all. The key is to get the right length spokes in the first place, from that the dish will sort it's self out pretty much. Then use your frame as the real dish guide as so many frames differ slighly you can build the wheels to truely fit the frame.

Key bits of kit are the spoke calculator (loads of them on-line - use a couple, not just one), the off-set screwdriver and a really good set of keys with nipple prep solution a close forth. Fifth would be the stand and dish tool (although many have a dish measuring tool built in so there should be no need to get a seperate one.

One other bit of kit would be a good wheel builders book, there are so many little things to make your wheels perfect that you may not think of staright away, like ensuring that 2 parallel spokes are lined up with the valve hole to make inflating easier

:roll: I think you need to understand the ken a bit first, he carrys a headset spanner in his trail kit and I'm sure if you rummaged around you'd find a black and decker workmate in his pack. He also brings half a tool chest with him in the car too, so the guy likes his tools :LOL:

ken I have that very stand and its ok, can't really say much about it, bit plasticky but does the job, got it from ebay so was cheap anyway. If I had to buy one I liked the look of the one on the aspire velotech site, at the time I looked it wsa good value because of the £/$ thing but may have went up a bit.

now now kaiser, I don't actually bring all my tools in the car, I have more at home :)

Thanks for the advice, I was going to use a spare pair of forks with pencils attached for guides but I thought that might be a bit cheap. But it looks like that's the way to go. I'll buy one of the books but I do like that spiral bound one.

Can anyone recommend a good offset spanner?

Back