Groovy

I'm not quite sure why this was moved, as bikes built by hand from steel, with designs reminiscent in many ways of early '90s mtb and utilising largely now outmoded constructeur-esque techniques such as tig welded integrated bar/stem set-ups are to my mind very retro by definition. Not vintage, not old, but retro. I would certainly contend that Groovy should be on-topic by virtue of a 'keeper of the flame' status (as used on classic rendezous).

I've offered several apologies and caveats in my previous posts and still managed to be completely misconstrued and have obviously offended some individuals quite profoundly. If the following offends you, please read all my posts to see I was looking for genuine questions to be answered. I've been really disappointed by the reactionary response of some people in an I-thought-you-guys-were-cool sort of way.

Having looked at all the Groovy bikes I've been able to see on-line, I've not found one that I find aesthetically pleasing to my eye. The point has been made that a custom builder will build what you ask, but obviously Rody has some very distinct aspects common to many of his builds. Of course this can be in part attributed to a viscous (friendly?) circle of people who like these aspects of his builds asking him to build them a bike...and so on.

I don't like: extremely long suspension-corrected rigid forks, I understand the practical implications but, nonetheless, they ruin a bike for me; boxy fork crowns (this is the biggest dislike); extravagant stainless headbadges; many of his outlandish paintjobs; paragon dropouts (for a dedicated SS I much prefer standard track ends, for numerous reasons); non-tapering fork blades; oversized steel tubing; square-section seatstay bridges; the GT style rear of the bar/stem combo (I fear for my knees); the extra tt-seattube tube on the El Jefe. These are all personal preferences, but amount to enough reasons for me personally not to choose Rudy for a custom build for myself. I'm sure my thinking his frames are ugly won't deter others from buying them, so why the defensive backlash?

thecannibal":t556261q said:
I don't like: extremely long suspension-corrected rigid forks, I understand the practical implications but, nonetheless, they ruin a bike for me; boxy fork crowns (this is the biggest dislike); extravagant stainless headbadges; many of his outlandish paintjobs; paragon dropouts (for a dedicated SS I much prefer standard track ends, for numerous reasons); non-tapering fork blades; oversized steel tubing; square-section seatstay bridges; the GT style rear of the bar/stem combo (I fear for my knees); the extra tt-seattube tube on the El Jefe. These are all personal preferences, but amount to enough reasons for me personally not to choose Rudy for a custom build for myself. I'm sure my thinking his frames are ugly won't deter others from buying them, so why the defensive backlash?

If you'd said all that to begin with, instead of "they're ugly" , I doubt very much this topic would be anywhere near as long. ;)

Oh yeah, someone asked what custom builder I'd choose. I'd love a Steve Potts, amongst others.

And I think someone else asked what retro bikes I own. I can't think of everything off the top of my head, but here goes. GT Xizang, Kona Cinder Cone, Kona Hot, Kona Fire Mountain, Kona Main, Sunn Bmix, Dave Marsh Track (x2), Dave Marsh lo-pro, Yeti Ultimate, Colnago Mexico, Colnago Super, Ibis Trials Comp, Sun of Birmingham tandem, 1930s Triplet, BMX tandem, 20" shopper tandem, Christianiabike, old Norco road bike, Al Carter something. There's more, but I forget. And modern stuff as well obviously.

Well mr Cannibal, i for one am pleased you haven't done a runner! ;)

This place would be boring without one or two (blunt) comments!

With such a passionate lot on here,you are bound to ruffle a few feathers!
I have found the trick is not to shoot the bird out of the tree! ;)

Big respect to ya, cheers,Al :D

We made it :D
Finally back to normal conversation instead of calling eachother names (... and discussing handbags for god's sake :roll: :D )
As a groovy owner I was never offended, in fact glad not everyone has the same taste, keeps me Groovy's exclusive ;)
Appreciate the "tone"in your explaining mail and like most of the retro bikes you own btw.
Please be carefull with the "retro"issue as it can cause another lil'riot ;) (much say I agree with you though :oops: )
As it might enlighten your disgust a bit I'll get another barstem combo on the Green white polkadot soon...... (see other topic)
cheers Roy

Whats wrong with hand bags?

Sexist pig! ;)

Al.

Two observations - forums in general can often be perceived as a 'club' with some sort of consensus by new entrants - and that would be a mistake. I have a few thousand posts to my credit, have done a number of events yet don't believe I fully concur with anyone here about everything cycling nor do I 'know'/or have met more than 50 people. Hence a new reader should not assume any such a consensus or drift.

Depending upon the nature of those new entrants (some like to challenge, some to opine, some to watch it all unfold before they contribute), initial perceptions will evolve into a generality about the site and its character. Again it's a notion much like the average man phenomenon - it doesn't actually exist - meet any one of us and you will wonder where you got any of your early perceptions from! Blanketing a forum such as this will always be seen as provocative and encourage defensive but well-meaning responses, in my experience.

Anyway, life goes on - the royal 'we' know you don't care for a Rody-style frame by now (nor me for what it's worth) - fine! What else have you got to contribute that's a tad more positive and upbeat, like a BoTM entry for example??!

Uncle K

PS. No way are we 'cool' here either - except for the bags postings, which were very, very cool and the subsequent moving of the post... :)

thecannibal":36zdg1xr said:
And I think someone else asked what retro bikes I own. I can't think of everything off the top of my head, but here goes. GT Xizang, Kona Cinder Cone, Kona Hot, Kona Fire Mountain, Kona Main, Sunn Bmix, Dave Marsh Track (x2), Dave Marsh lo-pro, Yeti Ultimate, Colnago Mexico, Colnago Super, Ibis Trials Comp, Sun of Birmingham tandem, 1930s Triplet, BMX tandem, 20" shopper tandem, Christianiabike, old Norco road bike, Al Carter something. There's more, but I forget. And modern stuff as well obviously.

Pics?

Back