Non-Retro Roadie Question

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
I don't do road, but I have a road bike for commuting. Where does 105 sit in the Shimano heirachy? To make it simple for me, what mountain group does it equate to?

Thanks! :)

Functional stuff then, great :)

I just won a new bike for commuting on eBay, it's only a SS but it has some 105 bits on it.

Langsterrear.jpg

nice! I'm not much of a roadie. I bought a Condor Italia 2 years ago with a view to getting out more but until this year, my hearts not been in it. It's 105 throughout and retailed at 1100 so IMHO 105 isn't too shabby at all.

105 is good kit - not exactly trick but robust, functional and reasonably light. Just like the old Deore LX.

That is exactly what I'm after when I have a space to store a steed over here.

Back in London I sourced a Langster for a friend and nearly didn't give it to him.

(Assuming it's a Langster anyway!)

Top steeds. Good snag!

Nippy, too. And the s/s / fixed will get you legs like pistons in no time

actually, its like this;- tiagra=4xxx 105=5xxx, ultegra=6xxx dura-ace=7xxx , in the mtb world deore/stx=5xx, lx/slx/hone=6xx, xt=7xx, saint =8xx and xtr=9xx. they havent yet released an ultimate road bike groupset, they could do it any time, it took nearly 10 years to deliver xtr, so who knows?

thing is tho, shimano kit road bike kit is such good quality now that none of it is considered tat, its all good.

Would also say 105 is a bit better than functional. I've quite happily got the brakes with the rest of the bike kitted out with dura ace.

Back