Tunstall Forest, Suffolk

From what i've seen, which probably isn't alot, there's alot of scope there. Only thing is the casual rider, i don't know what youre plans are for the area, but just showing up and riding you would miss most of the good stuff. Is there any plans for way marked routes?

I know the problems this has caused at Thetford, but unless you go on a guided ride or event, i really think you would miss most of what Tunstall has to offer.

Its early doors at the moment, there is an extensive plan for the area, of which we form one small part.

At the moment the lack of way marking is deliberate, and will reamin so until we've got the infra structure in place to support heavier traffic. As a volunteer group we are looking at how we can keep on top of trail maintenance and rotation of trails to avoid heavy erosion becoming the problem it is at Thetford.

The reason we are starting to host racing is to work towards generating a revenue stream that we can then reinvest back into the trails. The current one is our first, and what revenue we generate will be used to buy training for volunteers to further our objectives.

The obvious question is wheres the FC's input? Well the FC is a loss making government department that for the 3 forests in the Sandlings has a total workforce of 3 people. They have been enormously supportive, but the fact is theres no dosh in the kitty, so the choices were sit about moaning, or do something about it, we've chosen the latter.

There you go, a potted history :shock:

G

Is there any plans for way marked routes?

One of the best and most popular places to ride (not trail centres) is the Surrey Hills.

When I first started going to the Hills I knew no trails what so ever, but after a few times I got to know my way around. For me the finding and exploring is all part of the fun of mountain biking

The Hills aren't way marked trails, yet 1000's of people, young, old, families go there

Explore and you will find, go a few times and get to know your way around.

Too many places there days want to waymark their trails and then build some hideous visitor centre

Back