Groovy

The way I see it frame design is only part of the Retrobike equation. It also has to do with history and provenance.

Guys like Rody honed their craft under the masters and are carrying the mantle into the future. It is a labor of love with these guys. If they are building you a bike they are not going to cut corners or hide something that was not up to snuff. These guys are not just thinking of the paycheck. Each frame they design and build is like a child to them. Nothing is going out the door that they wouldn't feel comfortable and happy riding themselves.

Have you ever been in a shop watching somebody like FTW, CH, CI, SN, TR, et.al. They are so freaking into what they are doing and the material they are working with... it is incredible to see a true craftsman ply his or her trade. And, their medium is not the easiest to work with. It takes time and patience, years of trial and error. They are not only machinist/welder/engineer, they are also true artists.

Plus, these guys are great people that care about the sport, its history, and its future. They don't hesitate to take the time to answer questions and share their insight...

P.S. Rody, will this get me a discount on a fork?? :LOL:

thecannibal":3f26yoxz said:
guybe, maybe I have poor taste...but that's one of the ugliest high-end bikes I've ever seen.

ouch! a bit harsh there, hope Rody doesnt read this :roll:

Just out of interest, what retro bike you are riding now and what is the ultimate dream bike you wish to have?

dirtyfor.jpg

On the flip side.....and trying to calm things down a wee bit :LOL:
If you did have a blank cheque...who would people have their custom frame built by?

Harryburgundy":3ovzxj1d said:
If you did have a blank cheque...who would people have their custom frame built by?

there can be only one person.....me! would need loads of time and money, as i can't weld for toffee

how cool would it be to design and build your own bike!

Wow,i am loving this! :D

I do hope the Cannibal doesn't turn his back on the Forum. Whether i agree or disagree with his views is to me the whole point of a Forum.

I would be really interested in what bikes the fella rides and what his ultimate ride would be?

my ultimate ride would be a custom built Ritchey.

Keep the views a rollin' but lets show a bit of respect to all our friends on here! Please. :D

Cheers,Al

thecannibal":1tmhzwip said:
Oh I can't be **** with this. I had genuine questions which some people were able to answer reasonably. I've said in numerous posts that I didn't intend to offend and apologised for doing so if I did. This is **** BIKES. I love cycling. It's my life. But it's not worth this bullshit bickering. I am not a 'troll', you pathetic little man.

Now now. You expressed your opinions in a fairly robust manner. Don't be surprised if you receive a riposte in similarly robust manner ;)

Just got back from a nice Christmas Holliday in Sweden and Norway...... you guys have been busy in the meantime :D
what can I say..... :roll:

Sorry for insulting anyone with my bike(s), honoustly didn't mean to hurt anyone. please forgive me... :oops:

thecannibal":58y5e54j said:
maybe I have poor taste...but that's one of the ugliest high-end bikes I've ever seen.

OK.
See, now I read the words but they don't actually say anything to me.

I think you have fallen into a trap that others have done in the past. You have every right to express your opinions and equally every right to think Groovy bikes are ugly, but you can't expect to make comments like that and not get a pretty robust response on here (as has been witnessed).

Unless....

You qualify your comments.

What is it exactly that makes you feel they're ugly? Please excuse me if you've already said, I must have missed it.

As for this place inflating retro bike prices, I'm sure there is an effect but I reckon there's a chicken & egg thing going on rather than the influence being all in one direction.

As for the Klein thing? I seem to remember they were always vastly overpriced (and over rated). (only kidding! ;){well just a bit}) :D

hoegaardenadds1":2z5cotda said:
Harryburgundy":2z5cotda said:

there can be only one person.....me! would need loads of time and money, as i can't weld for toffee

how cool would it be to design and build your own bike!

Ditto! Design and build my own frame? Awesome - an ambition of mine since I was a kid!

The question now begs: Who would you have as teacher?

Latest posts

Back