Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
yo.

i have a dream. but i keep waking up.

my original idea was to build a retro frame with modern kit as i really dont like the way my modern bike rides. i bought a kona kileua, stripped it and started the rebuild. i got stuck with a bolt on disc converter (didnt want to mess with the frame permanently untill i knew i was happy with the ride)

the converter wont work with my frame and i got chatting to a mate who is up on his modern bike stuff. he originally suggested a rock lobster and although i really like them they are out of my price range for this project. his next suggestion was the inbred.

steel good geometry perfect for what i want. i like a small bike under me, hate the new sit up and beg riding position. am i barking up the wrong tree? anybody own one of these? any other frame suggestions for under £200?

chars

It sounds like it'd be perfect for you. Very low, racerish position, which is the reason I got rid of mine - they are **very** long in the top tube. I believe in fixies owns my old Inbred now.
But in a different league from anything else at that price.

I have one, 16" geared, and it is very long. Most people don't like it but I do, the extra length in the TT gives a really good riding position. The frame quality is not all that great but for the price, you won't get a better frame.

Its either that or buy something second hand. The Orange P7 came with disc mounts as standard from 1999 and you could probably pick up a frame for around £100. The quality would be far better then the inbred and the geometry won't be far off, although a little shorter in the TT.

I don't know if it has different geometry from the steel frame but my Ti Inbred was no longer than most other frames I've used.

I was recommended to use an 80mm stem on the 18" frame! :shock: Once I'd measured the top tube I ended up using a 120mm one instead and got the perfect position for me. The 80mm stem would have turned it into a Ti Raleigh shopper. :LOL: :LOL:

I had one with a full grey XTR build, rigid forks and twin pot red Grimeca disks mated to Hope Sport levers.

It was cack - it wasnt the top tube length, it was the ride, just not springy enough for a steel frame. I was very disapointed and sold it on.

Have a look round this site, there'll be something suitable for sale by someone.

i couldnt agree more that you get what you pay for. i liike the sound of the inbred but that pipedream looks a beaut

Thinking out of the box here, why not fit a Magura hydraulic rear rim brake to the Kilauea? Will stop you on a dime reliably, combines well with hydraulic discs on the front and you get to keep the nice frame and it's superior ride. Do a search for Magura rim brakes, they are well liked, also on modern kit.

caveat, I have no experience with Inbreds just following what is said above. personally I would have a hard time "downgrading" the ride for the sake of the rear brake. Go magura, and if you like the ride you can braze on the disc tabs.

Enjoy!!

Latest posts

Back