My first build and i got the bike for free, now i need help!

the shims are an interference fit in the headtube. you then use a smaller headset etc.

see cannondale f-series frames running conventional forks for an example

Ah, OK. Thanks cce - I am familiar with those. It just didn't twig when mazdaman referred to them.

Presumably jimihendrix accidentally put 'steerer tube', when he meant 'head tube'.

thecannibal":1w2p7jo3 said:
Presumably jimihendrix accidentally put 'steerer tube', when he meant 'head tube'.

No, the ones i was thinking of fit on the steerer tube, i have a pair to use the 1 1/8 steerer forks with the 1 1/4 headset and headtube on my Manitou, crown race one is a steel collar and the top is a split alloy sleeve, never used them before though, hope they work :LOL:

I'll stick a pic up later if i get the time ;)

jimihendrix":1ljnbnqe said:
thecannibal":1ljnbnqe said:

No, the ones i was thinking of fit on the steerer tube, i have a pair to use the 1 1/8 steerer forks with the 1 1/4 headset and headtube on my Manitou, crown race one is a steel collar and the top is a split alloy sleeve, never used them before though, hope they work :LOL:

I'll stick a pic up later if i get the time ;)

Sorry to intimate that you didn't know your terminology then. I would be interested to see this. Obviously introducing more dynamic surfaces requiring tight tolerances is not ideal (part of the reason integrated h/sets are wank), but the crown race arrangement sounds particularly worrying. Depends entirely on how the bike will be used, I suppose.

Do let us know how it goes.

No worries, no appology needed ;) , i agree it's not ideal but 1 1/4 stuff is hard to get now, could have taken a while to find a steerer the right length, with the 1 1/8 steerer it'll be easier to find a stem too.

Bike will only see light'ish use though and i'm a fairly light rider :)

Ha ha ha, that was an interesting huys. I have used a shim on another bike and it was fine for 3 years.

I have just been informed that defiant is sending me the Girvins in the next few days so i will be finished sooner than i first suggested which is great news.

mazdaman1980":2my00axx said:
Ha ha ha, that was an interesting huys. I have used a shim on another bike and it was fine for 3 years.

Was that the steerer tube shims or the headtube reducers ?

Here's the ones i was thinking of using, left one is the crown race and right is the top, feel quite tight on the steerer so should work ok.

reducers.jpg

Latest posts

Back