Groovy

thecannibal":fdgwegj0 said:
Why is there such a disproportionately high interest in Groovy frames on this forum? The couple I've seen have been pretty spectacularly unattractive to my mind. There are a great many small custom builders who produce exceptional frames. Is the owner/builder a poster on here?

It often seems that retrobike is the tail that wags the dog - the forum creates trends based on a few prominent posters' opinions. You need only look to the new cult status of Klein for evidence of this - mass produced aluminium bikes prone to dents and cracks now achieving vast sums of money at auction for their collectable value.

Discuss!

I like you already ;) :LOL:
theres no doubt this site has greatly influenced retro sales in the UK at least. is that a bad thing? if they were cool bikes to start with then thats a good thing

& yeh to agree with anthony, klein were popular before this site.. & they tend to fetch way more in the US than the UK generally (ebay content)

I felt "He's not been on here since September" was an attempt to put me in my place

you got the wrong end of the stick - I was trying to explain that although you perceive Groovy to have a high profile here, the builder, Rody, hasn't actually been on the site that often and not at all since September... that's all. No conspiracy or cool club. :D

*pops hand back up*

I do like Rody's frames, he knows his metalwork and paint work, has a vast amount of training under a past master, knows his shit so to speak. In the same breath I also acknowledge others like Richard Kent at Caygill's, Chas at Roberts, even Adrian at Pace pre-sell out. There are other quality manufacturers out there, just look and research before stumping for who you feel meets all your criteria.

As for Groovy's getting promo'd on here......I haven't really seen it personally. Some people have Rody's frames and components and this has lead to discussions just like the Kona's, Fat Chance's, Pace's, Yeti's, Cannondales and indeed Kleins, etc etc etc etc.

There's a healthy amount of debate and discussion on here, it's what make's Retrobike so addictive.

orange71":2pz6kn9d said:
I felt "He's not been on here since September" was an attempt to put me in my place

you got the wrong end of the stick - I was trying to explain that although you perceive Groovy to have a high profile here, the builder, Rody, hasn't actually been on the site that often and not at all since September... that's all. No conspiracy or cool club. :D

from what I hear hes flat out busy with a waiting list! that probs explains it ;)

thecannibal":2lds3a96 said:
Anthony: I feel the need to set things straight. I have not, nor do I intend to, suggested in any way whatever that Rody is not a good builder. The worst I said was that they weren't to my taste, and this wasn't even a key point in the discussion.
No, you should stand by what you said - the worst you said was "pretty spectacularly unattractive", which I take to be criticism of Rody's abilities to design and build.

FWIW, he generally builds in Columbus Zona as his base tubeset, and one of the characteristics of modern Columbus steel tubesets is very fat but thin-gauge downtubes, which I personally find unattractive, both visually and dynamically. But then if I could afford to commission a frame off Rody, he would build it perfectly happily with a slim down tube. Just one example of why with such an accommodating designer as him, you mustn't judge by any one bike - what you're seeing is what the buyer specified. And, although I accept that he has some good rivals, for anyone who wants a paint job like that, he is one of the best in the business at it.

I completely stand by everything I've said here. Attractiveness is an inexorably subjective quality, as I'm sure you know. I (that's 'I', 'ME', 'PERSONALLY') find his bikes spectacularly unattractive. I am entitled to both hold and voice this opinion, and it is in no way slanderous. Again, this has no bearing whatever on his status as a 'good builder' or his ability to build 'good bikes'. They're simply not my thing. Different strokes for different folks.

If you need any further clarification on anything I've said, I'll be happy to help.

I like Groovys and have recently bought an old Attitude for a very small sum of money,there are certain brands I don't like but sometimes you have to give them a go anyway,for instance I've never had a liking for GT and never really understood the huge following but one came up for the right price and,well,I'm lovin it!
Morel: never write bikes off until you've actually tried one and if Rody's reading this...

For what it is worth, I found Rody incredibly helpful when I was having a Yo resprayed (not by him although he did provide the decals at a very, very reasonable price) and very giving of advice in general without any vested interest. I'm not sure that every builder is as supportive as this. Clearly he runs a business but as clearly he is passionately involved and respects where these bikes have come from. And as Melvin said, having seen two Groovy's up close the workmanship and attention to detail is very impressive as is the finish. The waiting list speaks for itself.

And to the original poster, I don't think anyone is disputing your right to an opinion but expressing it so strongly about Groovy AND Klein in one post was almost guaranteed to provoke a response (indeed a troll could have not done better, not that I'm suggesting in any way that this was your intention).

Back