Groovy

thecannibal":1vqk419y said:
Wow. This has touched a nerve.

This really looks a lot like a touch of obsequiousness, much like what appears with 'Brant at On One' or 'Cy at Cotic' on other forums...

Sure Rody is a nice chap, but if you had read post you could also have read that there a rationale behind Groovy that goes way beyond whether or not liking somebody.

thecannibal":21jrh2tc said:
What's the point in a place like this if members can't express even slightly controversial views?

Feel welcome to express controversial views. But we can't deny we live in a world were of the shelve disposibles rule the marketplace. Looks like blindvolded everybody buys them. Now at Retrobike we are one place among several other who give Groovy the podium it deserves. I feel good contributing to that. Now all buy them :)

Elev12k, I did of course read all posts thouroughly and appreciate the information. After all, I was just looking for a little information. Well, that and some interesting discussion.

I can fully understand now that the retro context gives this builder and his bikes a greater level of interest on this forum. I still feel that sometimes posters offer little 'nods' to this chap because he is sorta the 'metalocal frame builder' (if you get what I mean).

I apologise unreservedly if I've caused any offense. I wouldn't want to put anyone out.

thecannibal":1nd7d0wk said:
Great. Diminishing my right to ask questions and express opinions on an internet forum because I haven't 'paid my dues'. What an unfortunately hostile attitude.

Where did this happen? Has someone been editing posts?

I believe that this discussion has gone to plan for the Cannibal!

I also hold the view that a forum is here for ALL. i have some very deep seated views on how this sport has evolved and how a few builders or bike company owners have gained a far larger following than i would expect.
But this is just life i'm afraid!
I also chuck a carrot out for some one to munch on! my jibes about Alloy frames or that bloke that invented our sport (Barry Fisher or whoever)never really evoke much response from the masses.
Maybe with time people just get used to the way you are or can gauge your style.
Anyway i'm blathering now.

All the very,very. Al. :D

thecannibal":1poe6mn5 said:
It often seems that retrobike is the tail that wags the dog - the forum creates trends based on a few prominent posters' opinions. You need only look to the new cult status of Klein for evidence of this - mass produced aluminium bikes prone to dents and cracks now achieving vast sums of money at auction for their collectable value.

Discuss!

I thought there were quite a lot of people on here that are not klein fans (myself included), perhaps more so than fans of klein (no offence ment to klein fans before i get shouted at!)

thecannibal":ds569hnl said:
Great. Diminishing my right to ask questions and express opinions on an internet forum because I haven't 'paid my dues'. What an unfortunately hostile attitude.
What's the point in a place like this if members can't express even slightly controversial views?
I don't see anybody diminishing your right to express opinions, but you are on pretty weak ground, so you can hardly expect anybody much to agree with you.

You don't seem to be in a position to substantiate with any facts your view that Rody isn't a very good builder, hardly surprisingly. He is by any standards a leading and successful frame builder, but I would guess that over 99% of his business comes from people in the US who have never heard of Retrobike and may not even like the retro thing - he doesn't build retro bikes. It's true that he posts on here (not often though) and on mtbr and that he probably gains from doing so, but so do we, as he is very knowledgeable. And the contrast with other framebuilders who post into mtbr is very noticeable - aggressive and intolerant are two words you would never use about Rhodes Walter, but they are two very good reasons not to do business with some of those guys.

As for Klein, what is your point? The prices are what they are, it has nothing to do with Retrobike whatsoever. Klein prices were high before Retrobike started. There isn't a particularly strong level of support for Klein on here, nor are any of the bikes that have fetched extremely high prices owned by people on here as far as I am aware. Retrobike tends to be populated by people who rebuild bikes, not people who cherish bikes that were perfectly original when acquired. See Jonrock's excellent respray feature on his Klein, which is a good example of Retrobike.

Surfr: I felt "He's not been on here since September" was an attempt to put me in my place - implying that having only been a member for a short time, I was having ideas above my station by questioning how things work on the forum. This seemed a bit elitist to me.

missmyfat: I'm certainly not arguing that everyone here is a Klein fan. Incidentally I do have a soft spot for them (no pun intended), but feel the prices are insane.

Anthony: I feel the need to set things straight. I have not, nor do I intend to, suggested in any way whatever that Rody is not a good builder. The worst I said was that they weren't to my taste, and this wasn't even a key point in the discussion.

Back