Dumb question about Hope Ti rear hub spacing

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I just bought a rear wheel with hope Ti hub and when I went to fit it I discovered the dropouts didn't meet the axle. If you look at the photos the axle is recessed behind the line of the disk rotor - it would need to be another 15mm at a guess for the dropout to sit on it nicely.

What am I missing here? What's going on? Is there a spacer I didn't get or what? It's going onto a standard MTB dropout (135mm?) - normal anyway. I've also attached Hope's bulb diagram which must be similar - do you think I am missing Item 4 (The non-drive spacer)?

Attachments

• Hop Ti hub 001 (Small).jpg
    Hop Ti hub 001 (Small).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 4,151
  • Hop Ti hub 002 (Small).jpg
    Hop Ti hub 002 (Small).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 4,151
  • Non-drive spacer.JPG
    Non-drive spacer.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 4,149
Looks like your axle is the one specific to the universal disc adapter mount. The hub axle sat in it and the adapter then bolted on to the drop out and canti mount so that you could mount a disc on a non disc frame. The only way around it is to replace the axle with a full length and add a new alloy collar on the non drive side.

Hope that helps

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Assuming hope still do the parts it shouldn't be too pricey, but it is a faff if you haven't got the bearing drifts and stuff. May be worth having a word with a big hope dealer like merlin or chainreaction for spares (or hope themselves) if you want to do it yourself or your LBS to have it all done for you. I'd have a word with the seller as they aren't really an upgrade as you can't use them in their current state without the axle change

Thanks guys. Have emailed a couple of times now but the seller hasn't responded. Do have their phone numbers though after a bit of digging on the net (he had an advert for a boat elsewhere on the web which gave his numbers!!).

Will give him till after new year.

Do you happen to know how much protection from Paypal/Ebay I would have in this situation? I know I can open a dispute but is leaving out a detail like this serious enough for them to back me up and get me a refund? Also would my credit card company pay up for misrepresentation in goods (my paypal is linked to my credit card) - I know they were prepared to if the product never arrived (I did this before for something else)?

Seller got back to me and offered £30 to make the necessary changes, which I thought was reasonable, just need to find out exactly which parts I need! A phonecall to Hope I think....

Back