Oil on Disc Brakes Problem

nothing will bring them back to as new condition as the contaminant sits deep down in the pads and as they heat up it gets sucked up to the surface reducing the grip again and again.

when using any solvent as a cleaner it is best to use an alcohol based solvent rather than a mineral based one due to the residue that is left behind.

Meths is good. a tip is put some of the solvent on a rag and then wipe a window and look at what is left.

light contamination can at times be removed with a solvent and the brakes work as well as before BUT if the brakes have been used contaninated i would not even both trying to fix them.

nicklouse":3huryorb said:
nothing will bring them back to as new condition as the contaminant sits deep down in the pads and as they heat up it gets sucked up to the surface reducing the grip again and again.

when using any solvent as a cleaner it is best to use an alcohol based solvent rather than a mineral based one due to the residue that is left behind.

Meths is good. a tip is put some of the solvent on a rag and then wipe a window and look at what is left.

light contamination can at times be removed with a solvent and the brakes work as well as before BUT if the brakes have been used contaninated i would not even both trying to fix them.

great tip,

I guess if my brakes don't get fixed, my window's will get cleaned.. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i was just wondering about the boiling in water factor!!! as I heard of it, it sounded odd... but now I see some logic behind it... ie: oil is lighter than water, so heat will get it off the pads I'm asuming... then water will bring oil to the water surface leaving disc's clear.....!!!!! :cool: THEORETICALLY SPEAKING ATLEAST :LOL:

but then adhesive can get affected on the process...

I am just trying to be as GREEN on the process as I can.

so don't mind spending the cost of new pads on the older one's just to help reduce my CARBON FOOTpRiNt ;)

the boiling works but make sure you remove all of the oil off the top of the water, otherwise you'll just contaminate them again.

another trick is to douse them in petrol then light them up! much harder than it sounds as petrol doesn't ignite very easily!

hoegaardenadds1":1nzl4enl said:
another trick is to douse them in petrol then light them up! much harder than it sounds as petrol doesn't ignite very easily!

It does if you do as I suggested re. the lighter fluid method and use a blowtorch :cool:

hoegaardenadds1":1fsexwqe said:
the boiling works but make sure you remove all of the oil off the top of the water, otherwise you'll just contaminate them again.

I would have thought petrol would just need a naked flame within close proximity to ignite!!! :roll:

Andy R":196k0sjt said:
hoegaardenadds1":196k0sjt said:

It does if you do as I suggested re. the lighter fluid method and use a blowtorch :cool:

I have NO access to a blowTorch, so would be a cooker job, if it is anygood!!! Just hold them with long plyer's or so!!!

would it be easier to just light up the fuel while they are dipped in it!!!
and let it burn away!!!!

hoegaardenadds1":op8yvu0h said:
meant the unleaded variety! you can actually put a cigarette out in a bucket of unleaded :D its the vapours that'll kill ya!

interesting,

i always thought it would light-up as liquid, but I never play with fire... :shock: so no experience on that department so far... LUKILY..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back