more pc help

thanks will try to clana it and re connect everything .

I will try to get exact message next time .

If you have to actually reinstall it regularly, then I would normally rule out overheating and most other things, even PSU.

I would not rule out you hard drive packing up though.

Find out the make & model of your drive (device manager should tell you that and google) then get the diagnostics and run it on the drive.

Else tell us the spec of the computer

Also look in 'Event Viewer' to see what was not working, use help if you don't know what that is.

its difficult to diagnose because there is so little information but from what I can glean from the OP's description it seems that the PC does actually boot and work occasionally .The drive is not making any noises that would indicate hardware failure.

It would be a good idea to change the IDE cable in case there is a problem with it and rebed the connectors maybe.

I would eliminate software problems first personally. It sounds to me like a program is trying to start up or driver trying to load and missing or corrupted files are making the PC crash.

First, boot into the BIOS and set 'default boot' try that.

Next boot from the Windows install disk and run ScanDisk

I would attempt to start in 'safe mode' and do a system restore back to a date when it was known to work perfectly. You can also uninstall any software that may be causeing problems and check in 'System' for problems.Also run a antivirus in safemode.

If that didn't work I'd use a Windows install disc to run 'repair' The OP will need the license No but can use any Windows disk. Download and run 'Belarc' which will give you your License numbers.

thats plenty to be getting on with and the OP needs to come back with a detailed description of precisely what he has tried and what the result was or I will be unable to help further

He's already reinstalling WinXP quite a few times ;-)

As it's a restore CD, they usual wipe and do a clean install. That would rule out software as it obviously worked fine for a long time in the configuration. i.e. when the PC was new ;)

(of course if not and that is not what is happening then take what you need of the drive and do a proper reinstall, again rules out software <normally>)

But you need a good clean out inside, PSU power fluctuations along with heat can cause this sort of intermittent error. Seen it a few times, but never seen it cause an error big enough to cause it being reinstalled.

I mention the drive because screeches and sequels do not need to be there for bad sectors etc to start cropping up.
:roll:
also it's and easy test to run. :LOL:

i agree with the above that its a hardware issue.
My first thought was it is overheating,
Try taking the side of the case off and may as well leave it off,keeps the system cooler anyhow[i have both sides off permanently]
While the side is off and the system switched off ,use your hoover to clean the processor heat sink and generally clean up any dust thats accumulating in any heat sinks and the PSU
A way to check if its a heat prob,is to swich on -go straight to bios and watch to see if your temperature readings are above what you would expect on a normal boot up[say 30-40c]if its running hotter [say it starts to climb to bout 60-70c then theres your prob and best put a new one together,also check to see if the temp warnings alarms are switched on.

Amd chips run much hotter than P4 chips
,Ive had some running at 160c briefly :LOL: before it melted[an old system on its last legs]
I found it would boot OK ,run awhile,then crash .If i tried to boot up straight away it would continue to crash a few seconds after booting up
It was only after i left it for 1/2H would it boot up to desktop,i could then run some things ,but an hour or so in ,down it goes

Buy a new system[they arent that much these days
or you should be quite able to pick up all 2004-5 stuff that you need for well under £200[well under as you already have a copy of windows] ,so that's 1 less item to add to the new build and most wee shops are quite happy to use your disc,and put the system together for you

It could be a hardware problem. If you read my posts properly you would have seen I suggested psu fault, over-heating and possibly IDE cable as potential hardware problems. I also suggested the OP removed the case side and hoovered his heatsinks and fans . Clearly you didn't read that or you wouldn't have repeated it.

When you use the restore disks you lose all your data and software programs and internet settings etc etc these all have to be re-installed. its quite possible that any of these might be causing the problem.

Restoring won't remove virus or trogans they can lurk in BIOS, memory all sorts of places. The moment you go online the nasty stuff gets re-downloaded and off you go again.

Once I had eliminated software as an issue I'd disconnect all unecessary hardware and re-boot. Frequently a faulty DVD player and other componants can cause booting and running problems

Win32 encountered a problem and Cannot find the C program error messages are classic software issues not hardware

I would say keep your options open and don't eliminate any possibilities without testing thoroughly first otherwise you could get stuck in the wrong diagnosis.

thanks for all the infos .

what deal do you recommend for a new pc , only use for internet , very little photos and files stored , and in a normal shop , ie comet or similar as you can see I am not a pc geek and need something simple . :LOL:

the strage thing is that I am keeping my internet connection , I have now restored 7 or 8 times and never had to re install the modem . it is a virgin cable ethernet if that makes any difference .

did you try any of the suggestions at all ?

its nice to get a little feedback when you spend some time trying to help someone.
If I were you I'd buy something from PC World . If anything goes wrong you can just drop it back for repair or replacement. Get an extended onsite warrantee too.
Re PC anything will be perfectly adequate for your needs . No need to get anything more than the most basic PC

Back