CUTTING STEERER

SLIM

BoTM Winner
need some help/advice on cutting down steerer
got to remove about 50mm of a nos steerer for a manitou 3

do i NEED to leave room for spacers ?
do i actually NEED spacers ?

or should i just cut it to length with the headset and stem ?

thanx slim

ah yes, ye olde steerer tube question. :p
extended steerers with masses of spacers above the stem can look bloody awful. However, I dont have enough hands & feet to count the times I've cut down a steerer, later tried to transfer the forks to another frame & realised the steerers just a "tad" too short :shock:

Personally? for my retro bikes that dont get much (if any!) use then I'll leave just 1 spacer above the stem (just incase!). For my actual riding bikes I'll leave like an inch of steerer with spacers above wherever the stem is. Why? When you come to sell the forks, short steerer forks just dont sell!, plus if you change frames, no guarentee your steerer will be long enough..

the forks i took off had a 200mm threaded
so i am looking at about 240mm left after cut
the new one is 280mm long
not planning on selling but i think 240mm is still a good length to be
able to unload at a later date
these are the ones i originally wanted on my pine mountain but could not afford at the time so finally got it like i wanted
hence not planning on selling
marins seem to have bloody long headtubes anyway

so if i got this right other than leaving a decent length on the steerer there is no reason to have spacers
it does look better without but just needed to ask before i commit to the cut
thanx for the help scant

slim

Totally agree with Scant but I hate the long steerer with loads of spacers look. Problem with Fat Chance frames is that the steerer doesnt need to be that long so you end up cutting the steerer very short. Not much good for selling on as Scant says :(

funny short story related to FAT chance headtubes. Chris chance came on a FATcogs ride to the peak district, noted the higher bar setup everyone was using. Tried it for himself, a few months later all FATs came stock with slightly longer headtubes :)
UK influence yeh :)

Back