Pics of Graeme Obree's Bike, 'Old Faithful'

xizang

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Found these pics of Graeme Obree's Bike, 'Old Faithful' the other day. I took them when I took my daughter to Edinburgh for her birthday a couple of years ago.

Thought they may be of interest to some out there.

Attachments

• Pics of Graeme Obree's Bike, 'Old Faithful' ..JPG
    Pics of Graeme Obree's Bike, 'Old Faithful' ..JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,644
  • Pics of Graeme Obree's Bike, 'Old Faithful'.JPG
    Pics of Graeme Obree's Bike, 'Old Faithful'.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 2,644
What a story his is- thanks for the pics.

Love that bike too. Compare with Boardmans super hi-tech Lotus designed in the wind tunnel etc. I know which I prefer! Obrees bike has soul.

Obree had an idea and knocked it up himself. Main tube is a Reynolds tandem bar that he flattened. Other tubing I think came from BMXs & the boottom bracket bearings came from a washing machine. Its easy to dismiss him as a bodger but actually he must have been a skilled craftsman and clearly was a genius bike designer.

On top of that he broke the hour record (in the most mind blowing way) on the bike he designed and made. An incredible guy!

Has anyone seen his film, The Flying Scotsman?

I watched it a few months back.......amazing, if a little sombering. There is more to Obree than meets the eye.

CTK":279f81ax said:
On top of that he broke the hour record (in the most mind blowing way) on the bike he designed and made. An incredible guy!

The feat (fails to break hour record so, full of self loathing, returns and does so the next day :shock: ) does not get nearly the credit it warrants.

As above, the book is an honest insight into what is clearly a very talented but complex character although the UCI do not come over in a very good light (probably no surprise there).

Oh, and in a not unconnected but much more light hearted vein, The Hour by Michael Hutchison is also well worth a read.

This was his first "superman" position.
obree7.jpg

and of course Italians will follow...
Andrea Colinelli

colinell.jpg

Antonella Belutti

at12g.jpg

and then Chris Boardman
4000mw.jpg

Superman position was main reason why UCI banned these bikes and positions. I had two years used Look KG196 at home with 26" front wheel.
No use after that anymore...cheap wallhanger :LOL:

Seen that wonderful bike in the National Museum of Scotland :D

A true low tech superstar, he even carbo loaded with marmalde sandwiches before a record attempt instead of the hitech sports nutrition foods other athletes used :LOL:

The world needs more Graeme Obree's

Back