Bar help

javajuiced

Dirt Disciple
Evening folks.... I need some help ....bought an old junker claud butler on e bay a while back to try and rekindle my forgotton love of old road bikes .... whilst i'm enjoying the bike and i've put on a couple of hundred miles on it already I just cant cope with the handle bar set up....

The bars are far too narrow and have a weird bend in them which makes them uncomfortable

The question is what should I go for and is there any way of checking to see what diameter i'm going to need, shifting/braking set up will remain the same as the pic below.

Also if anyone could throw some light as to why my bars are bent like this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

301220081239.jpg

Your stem looks like a sakae or an sr so you will have no compatability problems with 25.4 bars. Make sure you do not get any old cinelli gear because it is a larger size 26.4 unless you get a bar stem combo. The bend on your bars i can only guess at are a specific touring shape and gotta agree look awfully skinny. Levers and bar end shifter will fit nearly everything so you will be ok. Let us know how you get on

Hey dude, i gave you wrong info there and have edited my post. You need some 25.4 bars. 26.0 is the modern standard without going oversize. Apologies for that! Tip: Dont drink alcohol and post technical help :LOL:

Having said that i run some 26.0 bars in an older stem. Works well but is a tight fit. Don't know what others opinions on that are?

:LOL: No worries dude.... i guess i would have more choice if I changed the stem ?? are quill stems still available ??

Road bars

A general rule of thumb is to measure your shoulders from end to end and that will be a good place to start for your bar width. That way whether your on the tops or the drop your hands will be in a natural position width wise. How we always do it back home.
Jamie

That's called a 'Randonneur' bend, it's French for rambler or tourist.
Tourists spent more time on the tops & thought it gave more comfortable hand posistions. There's plenty of 25.4mm bars & quill stems about. Not sure about new but they're always at jumbles, Ebay etc. (& my shed!)

thanks for that cab , if you happen to want to sell me a set of 25.4 bars i'd be up for it i'm only down the road in WSM and work in Clifton

PM'd you. Is it really a junker? looks good from that angle. What tube set is it?

Latest posts

Back