2001 Santa Cruz Bullit Finally Built 7 years later Retro now

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I picked this up from a mate this time last year he upgraded to a tidier smaller frame.
DSCN1352.jpg

DSCN1355.jpg

Never been convinced Full Suss is for me, HT FTW but everyone in real life and anon reviews keeps saying this is a great bike (frame), Aiming to build it up kinda all mountainy, quite realistic how 'large' my riding will be, but should be a fun monstertruck.

Is it retro? I didn't think it was at all, recently I've noted there's no replaceable rear mech hanger and provision for V brakes! I think someone dated it as a 2002, 6-7 years doesn't make it retro but its showing its age. I'm now wondering if i should chop off these lugs i don't need like the Brake bosses :?: when I repaint.
Gonna strip paint to check for any cracks, not likely fingers crossed and repaint myself, probably alongside my cars Roll cage so looking at a Dark Grey. ;)

DSCN1547.jpg

I bought these retro anniversary 150mm forks last year at this time, got some light Deity bars off here, then ruined the all mountain lightness with this 400g stem!
stemandtv003.jpg

Got far too involved with retro and other stuff last year so hardly owts happened with it, maybe this thread may help me get a fs mojo.
:cool:

If it has a fox twin clicker it's an 01 at the latest - 02 onwards came with a fifth element rear shock. Can you check the stroke and the numbers on the spring, this will confirm my suspicions

Looks very much like my 01 frame, for me the acid test is if the axle for the swingarm is a bar with 2 threads cut for the big nuts, I think the 02 onwards had a slightly different design with end caps.....

The Bullitt is good and solid frame, you need some 01 or 02 boxxers up front and a set of hope C2's to be period!

I'm sure he said the Fox wasn't the original shock, but I dunno, still learning about these things. I didn't buy it as a retro really, more 'new fangled' :D but its pretty old innit. probably gonna get some odd modern bits, doesn't need a lot, I think I'm gonna break my Identiti onto it, so those wheels, 8 gears, and Diatech Anchors from 2004 :) Didn't want mega downhill dual crown forks, I think I intended to get some 66's but lashed out when i Found those retro jobbies half price on eghey last year! :D

will have to get some more pics. :)

cool

the bulitt is one of the few sussers id own the other santa being the older super8 ( with the big tube through the swingarm

but i cant justify suspension :(

Cheers,

perry":3sbcmw8w said:
but i cant justify suspension :(

Neither can I, I reckon. :? I made do on my Dr Jekyll when I went riding with my full suss mates, twas quite while ago now I don't live near.
I rode that big heavy identiti to work this morning too! :oops: takes some effort, Honestly I'd do well to sell the lot. :? but the SC is there might as well try it specially when they are meant to be so good. Feeling reckless though, gonna enquire about something i really want!

Re: 2002? Santa Cruz Bullit full suss

Here's for a real blast from the past!! 6.5 years?! Well I've actually had it since the end of 2007!
With the MTX wheels a bit heavy for my Bfe needs I ummed and ahhed about building this, at which point got nagged by Liam 1614 (Manchester) and local gravity hooligan friend to build it up, they were like a broken record (as was I) so I collected to some new and old parts as the 2001/2 era Bullit is now sort of retro, a retro Freeride do it all DH beast thing!
It's very short and laid back for me and the suspension needs a proper tune up, but with a shake down we got it a bit more balanced. So dunno if it's a keeper yet, might sell/split or refine...
Have some pics. :D

45mm stem and 785mm bars may be a bit modern for this i dunno.

I bought back it's original 4 pot hope brakes, the hose and 7" of movement had rubbed the frame so applied some special protection tape. Looks tough!!

My usual formula on gears SLX 11-32 9 speed, XT Shifter, Straitline Silent Guide and 36t on M800 Saints go with the hardcore theme.

Quite retro 2003 Marz 66's and 4 pot Hopes, still good parts, tough cookies.

Comments, admiration, constructive crits, offers welcome!

So how does it ride? I sometimes think these would be a right laugh now, but reckon the weight would put me off using it for trail centres etc. Or the ones I ride anyway.

Re:

Oh yeah, would be horrible round a trail centre, but it'd be a good laugh on an uplift day somewhere. Not as fast as a modern downhill bike, but like riding a sofa.

coomber":2ruz5fez said:
So how does it ride? I sometimes think these would be a right laugh now, but reckon the weight would put me off using it for trail centres etc. Or the ones I ride anyway.

Well, I rode it before I bought it in 2007 it had DC Shivers and fat 24" wheels then. It wasn't really for me very laid back and heavy but figured with some tweaks it would be good.

At first on my local tame trail centre it was horrid but the rear shock was wound down soft, odd tyre pressure and the fork was rock hard it had come off a DMR Exhaut apparently. I wasn't enjoying it. We tightened up the shock, pumped tyres up and used an organic wooden implement to lower the pressure in the 66's as the shock pump couldn't fit in the recessed valve. Must need an adaptor? Then after that with some practice it became more neutral I was knackered as it was my fist outing in months, and went home. It's most likely too small for me really as I'm 6ft 2 and it's a 17" medium I think. I'm going to try find a 60mm stem cheap and sort suspension pressures somehow and try those red and black sections again then see.
It's got potential for sure...

Re: Re:

sam264":19sswlaw said:
Oh yeah, would be horrible round a trail centre, but it'd be a good laugh on an uplift day somewhere. Not as fast as a modern downhill bike, but like riding a sofa.

Yeah someone tough needs to launch off something big on it! I think you are right, they can be 'all rounders' apparently but wants the big stuff!

Back