Carrera katalyst- rather good story!!

boybiffa

Retro Newbie
hi im new to this forum and so far it is a great site!.
my names rob and the story of the best mountain bike ive ever had.

I was given the bike from my uncle ken who had baught the bike new on the 21st of june 1991 and also baught a bright orange gt outpost for my cousin. they were used until september when my cousin when back to school and were then cleaned(didnt need it tho as they were only used on a sunday morning once every 3weeks)
and after being cleaned and dryed off they were coated with a thick french wax including the intertubes and coated the chain and other parts eg cables and mechanisms.....
and was stored from the 5th of september 1991. in their heated cellar
until we went round to see them and he decided on the spot that he wanted the room in his cellar and asked me and my younger brother if we would like them so we said yes.
they were finaly braught out from the cellar on the 13th of april 2008! realising that they both had computers fitted they both had done just 3.1 miles!!!.
we then got the bikes home and put them in the garage where i removed the max and gave it a good wax over with a very thick resin french wax that my uncle had used and they were as like new!!
where i have been riding it every day scince the 14th of april of 2008 and not had to replace one thing!! not one item no cables no chains no innertubes no brake pads nothing!
the only thing i have changed is the tyres as the originals were white wall tyres(again like new and werent rotten etc and still have these in the heated garage where it is now kept)
i have fitted tioga factory xcs.
i have ridden the bike from gawthorpe in ossett all over to a round trip with a freind over 200miles in one day - yet no problems just a numb bum (lol)
then using the bike everyday averaging around 20miles etc etc
and yet another bike ride for charity from leeds to john o groats we covered a further 678.9miles

and in total have covered a stagering 2,589 miles and counting
and still have not changed one item but the tyres
the bike still has the original brake cables and well it is like it was 17years ago when it was baught from halfords in pontefract for 650 pounds.
i have had over 10-15 mountain bikes and have payed stagering amounts eg 1k on one bike and yet this has lasted me and is still going like a tank!
these bikes are very very bullet proof and rather light weight too.
every sunday morning i bring the bike out of the garage wash it ,dry it wax it with the french polish at least 3 coats of wax then it is re oiled and then put back under cover in the garage.

heres the photos
DSC00124.jpg
DSC00119.jpg
DSC00118.jpg
DSC00117.jpg

rob

Was gonna read that , but due to it being the 1st jan and i was out on the sauce lastnight,
my heads hurting a little, scrolling the screen aint helping either.
will pop back one you have edited it dude ;)

Gc

wow, i had one of those in 1995/6. gave it to the bloke that used to live next door to ride to work on, wish i still had it, VERY strong.

yes they are the strongest bike or rather one of the strongest-
and sorry gc but i cant edit it as i dont have much time to edit it it took me ages to write it all up just come back when your sober lol
happy new year all!!

ive often thought about respraying it as some people take the mick but i might as well just leave it?
what do you think?
and also have you ever tried to take out the crank? i have and well it wont let go of the left pedal arm- undone it all as it should and should be able to tap off the left pedal arm from the crank shaft but it simplywont budge - i wanted to rust proof inside the crank and regrease the bearings.

rob

You wont be able to tap off the crank arm, or at least you shouldn't be able to.

Get a hold of a crank puller and remove the arm.

Great e- stay :cool:

i had totally forgotten about the e stay carrera's. thanks for sharing

Back