Recovered saddle

just noting the staples because they are there on the original saddel. as well as generally seeing staples used on upholstery jobs.

elite504":clg7no1h said:
I guess if the foam underneath is really crumbly it wouldn't form a good substrate to glue on, but i'm inagining you could glue straight on top of the old leather. . ? :?:

Yes you could do that aswell if the old stuff wasnt too messed up,the foam underneath does crumble away in places,especially around the edges if the saddles had a hard life.

I did think about the staples too but so far the glues holding up on mine and the leathers still in place,its beginning to wear white in places lol,i think the stuff on the originals was higher quality than ebay cut offs :LOL:

I was inspired by this post and refurbished an old Regal which wore through this summer. I also found some rivets and replaced them too.

The saddle looks and feels as good as new. Certainly I didn't need staples as the contact adhesive worked fine.

lumos2000":1deb073e said:
just an idea but im going to have a go at getting some leather embroidered, how about a customized retrobike flite ;)

My GF has a fancy shmancy embroidery machine and software to "digitise" images so this is easily do able. The material which is being embroidered needs plenty of stretch in it though.

I've got some ox-blood [coloured]from an arts&crafts settle i made a few years ago,
i've upholstered a few things over the years but i never considered doing my saddles,and i've got loads of heavy weight leather and leatherette
-------------------------------------------------------------
A cheap source of pre-stretched leather is any old settee or chair you see at the bins when out cycling,cut from the front only[seat/seat back]
as sides and backs of these cheap sofas are usually made of vinyl [leatherette]

Floor tile contact adhesive (Bostik or similar) worked well for me. There is a re-postionable one which is handy for removing creases when getting the leather snug around the saddle nose etc.

I thought I'd give this a go, and was quite depressed when the foam just broke apart. The leather wouldn't mask the fact that the foam had perished in places, and in the end I put the original cover back on! I guess it depends on a number of factors really, but my example failed.

Back