Project No. 1: Alpinestars Cro-Mega XT '1992 meets 2008'

sinnett177":2oomg649 said:
flyingwelshman":2oomg649 said:
If you need a pilot for the Ti Mega I know where there is one ;)

I was thinking of making it a Tim Davies replica. But then I thought what the bloody hell would I ride! BTW what frame size did you ride the 45.0cm (17.7") or the 48.0cm (18.9"). Also any idea's where to start my search for a frame or complete bike?

17.7" I would think. Where to get a bike - you have probably more idea than me, but e-bay would be a good start, there were not many Ti Megas made so it will not be easy. Good luck.

sinnett177":1fz9zk46 said:
I will miss it but I ride so much better on the Raleigh, think I owe it to myself to build a nice lightweight and ultimately all time dream bike.
Absolutely Go for it buddy. Makes a lot of sense, better than catching dust. so will the Ti be a classic build or use some of these bits?
Wish I could just follow my dreams, good on ya

will keep an eye on FS thread just in case i need owt :) giz a warn. :)

flyingwelshman":15dflzmm said:
Mark,

Sidekick416 on here had access to some NOS Alpinestars stuff in Singapore so may be worth trying him.

Thanks Tim, I was thinking the same thing. I'll get this lot flogged first and then i'll have the cash to deal and will contact Sidekick. 17.7" is the size i'm looking for, my cro-mega is the 19" version and is just a tad to big, I had the 17.7" BITD and remember thinking that was a dab small, but think that will be the lesser of 2 evils after trying the 19".

sinnett177":1po7fixa said:
flyingwelshman":1po7fixa said:
Mark,

Sidekick416 on here had access to some NOS Alpinestars stuff in Singapore so may be worth trying him.

Thanks Tim, I was thinking the same thing. I'll get this lot flogged first and then i'll have the cash to deal and will contact Sidekick. 17.7" is the size i'm looking for, my cro-mega is the 19" version and is just a tad to big, I had the 17.7" BITD and remember thinking that was a dab small, but think that will be the lesser of 2 evils after trying the 19".

The 19" felt a LOT bigger then the 17" - had one to try once and it felt huge.

so would you say it wasnt worth the build of the cro mega? yours looks the biz but if it still doesnt float your boat perhaps i would be better retro building mine. It does feel a tad heavy but that may be because i am used to riding lighter modern bikes? Problem is most of the al megas seem to be less resiliant to the 15 or so years in cold sheds so I think you have it right looking for a ti mega. good luck with that - i have never even seen one on the flesh but if you do and you make half as good a job as this one it will be ace.

conceptsails":3ptbkduu said:
so would you say it wasnt worth the build of the cro mega? yours looks the biz but if it still doesnt float your boat perhaps i would be better retro building mine.

I'd of kept it if not for my 2 bike rule. It's a lovely bike but it does have some flaws and draw backs. I would not be put off building a modern one like this but it all depends on what you want it for, when I built this I only wanted a bike for fun, but now i'm back into my riding in such a way that I want more in terms of performance and hence a lighter bike. I also look at it with its spec and think how much money I have tied up in it, if I cash it in i'll be a good way to getting a ti-mega.

I was planning on keeping the frame for old times sake, but if you want it conceptsails to play around with you can have it for postage and karma or collect for karma.

Well I thought I would carry on this thread I am now in possession of said Alpine stars frame so thanks Mark at the moment I am building a Dolan Cycle cross bike for the September season start but in-between I am going to do something with this, God knows what but frame colour will be the same I have no forks yet and I think this will be quite an interesting build.

All the best with it Kingcutter, if it's anything like as nice as your Thomson special or the other bikes you keep introducing me too, it'll be a real cracker.

Cool so KC you've got the black Alpinestars now? be real interesting to see this iconic bike rebuilt again in this thread. keep us posted :cool:

Back