GT Lightning weight weenie progress

Re: Weight

John":1kp5i7vo said:
Interesting ride. Impressive weight - think you need a on scale shot to verify though ;)

Wold Ranger":1kp5i7vo said:
Pickle UR bout twenty years outa date! Most of the local chaingang have Winter bikes at 15

:LOL:

Got any examples of these 15 lbs winter bikes? With guards on too yeah?
Thats a bit like wearing your coat indoors on a cold day. Go outside you won't feel the benefit. Come summer you'll not feel the benefit either!
My pal has a Tomasini like this in a Large that weighes 14.73, he doesn't bother with guards (they're for Wuss's right?) rides it 17 miles to work every day. But guards wouldn't push weight much, the bottom Spin weighes 7.07 pounds! These are real figures, I know this is retro bike, but I thought technically we were up to date? :D
A lot of this is down to the modern Gruppo's, Remember prices are through the roof tho! 2009 Campy 11 speed Rec C is £2000 plus!
There are a few Scott Scales (thats a Carbon HT MTB frame :D ) complete with front suss at sub 15 pounds around!
Tomasini.jpg

Spin.jpg

You need a decent witer bike round here,most of the winter club runs are harder than a race!

Re: re:

captain8track":56l02afy said:
some thoughts:

set an 98 Sid or a rigid unit.

If staying suspended in the front you better get a Judy SL earlier than '98 they were lighter than SID's. Rigid would save you the most weight. I think a GT Bologna Lite fork runs 1lbs 9oz so near a 2 lb savings to go rigid. Your not going to come close to 18lbs and once you get to 20lbs you'll spend almost a hundred dollars an ounce to drop weight unless you get out your drill!

You'll also need 28 spoke wheels, Ritchey 1.7 folders or Kenda 1.8 folders to get anywhere near 18.

Weight

Maxxis Max lite 310 each, so there is a fair bit, Won't be running rigid its too rough around here, the Pace are very light and RS are pretty poor function wise and very flexy. Could save a further 250 by swapping the post, clamp and saddle. Wheels could also save a further 300, but would cost and would have to go well away from retro parts. I feel it's light enough as it is.

My Dean ti weighed in at something stupid like 16.5 LB according to the guys that weighed it back in the day on the work scales and my own scales.

It was kitted out with stuff like Hugi 240's on 517's with revolution spokes, XTR 8spd 11-30 cassette, and Control tech Ti skeweres with Ritchey WCS latex tubes, Maxxis flyweight tape and Conti supersonics.

Pace RC31 forks with a King headset, single carbon spacer, 5g top cap with alloy bolt and a 120g stem with Easton EC90 and Titec Pork rinds. Shifters were modded/slightly stripped XTR STI which worked out lighter than combining light shifters and light brake levers running 2x8 gearing.

Cables were Nokon, mechs were modded XTR with alloy bolts, brakes were Avid Magnesium with Avid ti hardware. Chainset was an XTR with no granny ring and a Dura Ace BB, chain an XTR. Post was an Easton CT2 with a San Marco Aspide 130g saddle. Seat collar was some light CNC thing with a ti bolt. just about every bolt was alloy apart from the load bearing ones which were ti, bottle bosses had plastic inserts.

Pedals were nice light Eggy's.

I did a similar build with my girls bike and she hated it, as she thought it skipped all over the place.

I had intended to put that bike on Weight Weenies after some upgrades, which never happened as I had kids.

Those weight saving options included an RS7 Due with Syncros Ti BB and Egg beater triple ti's, an alloy cassette or Dura Ace 12-27, modded thumbies and Sram plastic brake levers, Tune Mig and Mag with DT Ti matrix spokes running into Crossmax 28 hole rims with MaXXis 320 gram tyres, and the thought of a 140g Deda carbon/Magnesium black stick seat pin if available in 330mm. The frame could have been lighter, my Klein was lighter but I preferred the Ti.
I may have a list of the component weights somewhere?

Re: re:

gm1230126":3uzh0hgq said:
captain8track":3uzh0hgq said:
some thoughts:

set an 98 Sid or a rigid unit.

If staying suspended in the front you better get a Judy SL earlier than '98 they were lighter than SID's..

Hmm, In real life I found SID's to be a lot more capable of light weight than Judy SL, the two lightest forks in my memory are Amp F3 and SID with an SL crown and Air Englund carts, though Indy SL and Commencals? forks were pretty light too?

Re: Weight for all the doubters

Wold Ranger":2furvp9f said:
Frame (inc Bottle cage bolts) 1430
Wheels 1573
Skewers (Control Tec Ti Allen) 44
Tubes (Conti Supersonic) 190
Tyres 943
V Brakes(inc all Ti Bolts) 306
Brake Levers 140
Shifters 138
Grips 54
Bars Titec 53cms 90
Stem Syntace inc cap + TiKit 95
Headset (King) 97
Forks 1390
BB 157
Cranks/Bolts n Rings 601
Seatpost(cut down Easton Carbon) 165
Saddle (Flite Ti) 215
Seat Clamp 41
Cassette n Chain 504
Front Mech 95
Rear Mech 183
Cables 143
8594 Total (18.9 in English)

Cranks,
Such as Middleburn RS8
Pedals,
Such as Egg beater triple Ti
Tyres,
Such as the Maxxis you mention
Tubes,
Such as Maxxis or Latex or Panaracer greenlight
Rim Tape,
Such as Rock or Maxxis
Cassette,
? Maybe a Dura Ace or Alloy TA?
Cables,
Nokon with Kevlar Power Kord inners.
Wheels,
Hugi or Tune with revolutions and Stans Rims or such.
Certain bolts,
Alloy can be used for non load bearing bolts, such as some cable clamp bolts mechs, top cap and such.

Oh and forks I am sure can be had at around 1200g suspended?

Scotchbrite may remove around 30G of frame weight with a bit of elbow grease?

The thing is though a really superlight bike is a handful to ride but it sure is nice to pick up :cool:

Light

You need to drop the tyre pressures to 30 or less, this gives brill traction and handling and stops all the skittering about. But a you say the best thing is on the steep climbs just shoulder the bike!
When I used to race, as I also ran county XC league, I just used to pick the bike up and run on the climbs, could make loads of ground up and far quicker than winching away!

Yeah,I never used to bother with a granny ring,I run tubeless nowadays and pretty much always have low pressures,the race bike weighs over 20lbs but it does have 4"s of travel :cool:

Back