P7

Mark65

Retro Guru
Hey guys
I posted a piccy of my p7 when i built her in 94 i have her back from my brother and stripped it down today pretty much all the parts where nackered except the xt thumbies and chainset but i have a load of new spares in garage when needed.
What i need to know from those of you that have built em back up is the frame ok looking to you there seems to be no rust so far in side the head or seat tube and the piccy ofthe seat stay is the only real bit of surface rust on it. If i run my nail over it i cant feel anything so it looks more like a rust stain, should i powder coat it or paint it , i was thinking leaf green with black decals :D .
Pls give me any of your opinions thnx.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1753 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1753 (Small).JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,554
  • IMG_1745 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1745 (Small).JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,554
  • IMG_1747 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1747 (Small).JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,553
This should be an interesting build, You have a good start already Frame and Thumbies :cool:

I am no expert with rust unfortunatly,but have a look at my just finished http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47170 if you havn't already, Just had this one painted by Argos, I was going to get it powder coated but was advised that the finish is never 100% or shiney or gleaming as enamal paint. The Argos route is pricey but the result is better than new.

Its a shame the Orange has got to this state as I have always loved that shade of purple on Orange bikes.

Cheers

Nice pink kona m8
Its a great colour, i will put some jenolite acid on it tomm and wire wool that will remove the black stain.
I have the wheels and the original xt parallex hubs and the 7 speed block is fine with no worn teeth i will need a new short cage rear mech though and have a shiny new deore chainset in garage and a set of xt v brakes which i was gonna use instead of cantis. this is what it originally looked like.
Im not too keen on spending a £100 on paint the powder coat seems more to my price range.
Mark

Attachments

• Save0003 (Small).JPG
    Save0003 (Small).JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,527
Well took chainset and botom bracket off today and the internals look fine an dandy cant see any rust, need to find a powder coater in wigan or i may try that one at preston wheelcare i think its called.
I put jenolite acid on the black spots on seat stay and it remove most of it.
any reccomendatoins f or powder coater in or around wigan or preston area?.
Ta
Mark

Hi there
Full stripped now and no sign of rust inside tubes in fact there is still purple overspray in them, any of the surface rust has been sanded of and treated with jenolite now pretty much clean and ready for powdercoating in leaf green.
How many have used this place in preston http://www.wheelrepair.co.uk/
ive seen one piccy of a frame they have done in yellow green i think it was and it was a good finish, i have loaded a few more piccys the brown stuff in the seat tube was a mix of grease and copperslip as this was a shimmed seatpost i didnt like the idea of 1 short shim so i put 2 in.
ta
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1764 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1764 (Small).JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,405
  • IMG_1765 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1765 (Small).JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,405
  • IMG_1769 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1769 (Small).JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,405
Seat tube and serial no.

Attachments

• IMG_1771 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1771 (Small).JPG
    33 KB · Views: 1,403
  • IMG_1772 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1772 (Small).JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,403
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Am I too late?
*Don't* paint it green! It'd be like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa. That bike has to remain purple!

Re: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i-am-iron-man":2vii9gno said:
Am I too late?
*Don't* paint it green! It'd be like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa. That bike has to remain purple!

I'll second that ;)

Chris.

in for sale section, i was made redundent jus before xmas so i havnt the time or heart or cash to restore it.

Mark

Mark65":1kyv0yzv said:
any reccomendatoins f or powder coater in or around wigan or preston area?.
Ta
Mark

Am am not far from you and ended up biting the bullet and sent mine to Windridge in Kent.

I should have it back soon so if you keep an eye on my thread I will report everything (hopefully good :D ) there ...

WD :D

Back