Klein .... am I missing something?

The thing about warranty replacement is not true, tough. I bought this used attitude which cracked after a month, and it was replaced by a brand new adroit by the importer without proof of purchase. Ok it was a front suspended 1999 model, but it came free of charce. This shows seriousness...

Have you ever seen one close up, they are super smooth and very well built and finished. They are mosre expensive than i would like but how many other manufacturers make the effort to conceal cables and etch out the name!!!!

Still i will take a Merlin/Litespeed/Pace any day over one.

Quality

Got both a Modern XLM Merlin and a GT Lightning, So know what U mean, no comparison, with a Klein, in a much better class than a Coke Can Klein.

Re: Quality

Wold Ranger":2kgwrd5q said:
Got both a Modern XLM Merlin and a GT Lightning, So know what U mean, no comparison, with a Klein, in a much better class than a Coke Can Klein.

No need to get offensive fella,like i said earlier each to their own.

Good thread, always wondered what they rode like. Saw my first one BITD in Dales and was smitten, though I still wouldn't pay the dosh for one, as above would rather have a ton of other stuff first, but can see the attraction.

The '91 attitude I had was one of the best rigs I've ridden. This includes my current handmade in Italy titanium hardtail

When I first time ride Klein -91, it was something really different. Really fast and responsive. After that I have allways wanted to own Klein.

I do have also Merlin Mountain and must say that it´s also really wonderfull bike, bu different way. If I want to go ride for "Finnish trails" where is a lot roots and rocks I choose Merlin. Beacuse it´s way more comfortable.
But If I want to enjoy fast and light ride I choose Klein.
Only couple hours ago, I wondered how this bike can feel so different and funny than any other bike I have ridden.....I was riding with my -90 Attitude :)

Klein

BITD this was their nickname, (Not bein abusive my friend) as they had a habit of literally folding up like a Coke can, Quite a few of us had them back then and they were serious money, Adroits and Attitudes were £1000 a frame off memory? Not much fun when your frame cracks after three months and they won't honour the Warranty!! :(
There was just too many of them doing this for it to be abuse or coincidence.
The Adroit Race I had, was in Medium and the frame just weighed shy of 2.7 pounds. even decent quality modern race HT frames weigh a pound more than this, I think they were just pushing the butting too far to save weight and create a name, they had to use big tube diameters just to support the ultra thin tubes, in the centre, they were literally as thin as a Coke Can. I cut my down tube in half after mine expired and Mic'd it against a Coke can as sold at the time, they Mic'd pretty much the same! No wonder they were so light and rode so compliantly! Or why they cracked/bent so readily.
A good race bike for a few races, but not a Trail bike with any ability to stand abuse!.

You and your friends obviously had bad experiances with Klein as I have with a number of brands including GT,Fisher and Giant but it sounds like their customer service left alot to be desired unlike the ones I've mentioned who did replace the frames I snapped.There does seem to be a fair few of Kleins around still though.

Back