Explosif updated

That's the one, I went to pick it up in Nijmegen.

Trying it for size myself now, it does look big with the tall head tube. But if I compare the position of the bars with a modern rig with 120mm suspension forks and risers it is not "high" at all.

Enjoy!!

It looked nice in flesh, I hope that crank problem turns out to be minor.

The "K" instead of the UK "Kona" graphic on the downtube made it look different. It was only when you pointed it out that I saw it though.

I should have had a shot while I could... DOH!

Yeah the creaky crank that effectively stopped our ride, I forgot to mention that in my report. Must admit I've been fettling my new modern build rather than fixing the Kona.

As for the Logo thing, BITD the number one Dutch brand in MTB was Koga Miyata. Koga deemed Kona to be too much alike, hence the K only logo on the downtubes. I think I'vce seen oness with more decals though, including an American flag IIRC.

Off to the shed now to check out the creak ..

Took max advantage of my day off today and fettled the Explosif.

The creaky crank that ended the last ride turned out to be the non-drive side crank bolt that had worked itself loose, 1 and a half turns out from where it is now. More importantly I lowered the front end and adjusted the canti's to compensate (but also gave it better working angles). Whilst I was at it I replaced the saddle, and the unwilling left shifter. I found a NOS unit DX 7s in the for sale here, wonderful, one quiet evening I'll taker the old unit apart to see if I can save it.

I really enjoyed the small test ride today, the bike now looks and feels much improved, front end really feels more planted. It surprises me how big an effect such changes have. I intend to take it out on the regular Sunday run this weekend. FWIW I nearly decided to sell the 20" frameset in favour of a 19" but since this afternoon I'm not so sure anymore.

So here it is, dirt and all for a quick picture before the dark sets in:
Rider92_06s.JPG

Rider92_05s.JPG

Enjoy!!

Back