COOLWALL: Proflex Bikes? Are they cool?

Are Proflex bikes cool?

• Yep - perfect retro full suspension that worked - cool!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not bothered.

• Eeek. Rubbish flex stem rubber bumper rubbish....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Another great topic Jez...

To be fair looking back I'd say no. However give it a bit of thought and it probably rates a yes. Affordable and reliable (for the time) suspension can only ever be a good thing.

here we go then ,

as said one of the first suspension so must be cool for that

not perfect admittedly , but they tried

elastomers , maybe not so cool , but what else was there !!

and i must have sold about 40 odd sets in the last year so there are lots of people out there who are just dying to keep or get them back on the tracks , sent them all over the world , US , CANADA , AUSTRALIA , EUROPE

and as a few of the guys here know , there is even a forum dedicated to just this brand , so have quite a following

so it must be a resounding cooool for me

I'm sorry people, take the concept of a flex stem and apply it to a whole bike! :roll:
If you wanted full suss it's as sensible as front and rear disc drives :LOL: (thats a NO by the way ;) )

DISCLAIMER: I am only talking about the early stuff, I have no experience of the later bikes so can only speak as I find.

Stick Legs":1lst9idw said:
I'm sorry people, take the concept of a flex stem and apply it to a whole bike! :roll:

So a Merlin with elastomer rear suspension wouldn't be cool then?

mymerlin003small.jpg

Erm....

God u guys!

This has been so far a really fired debate....look at the results!

Remember we are talking about Proflex here....! Not Merlin.... so forget "elastomers" in general cos a lot of brands used them in this era....

Still worked when I took it out for a ride today... Still will tomorrow... & the kids with their 7 tonne 'jump' bikes will still want to know what it is... Even they think it's cool!

dsc00576nm9.jpg

(& no, it's not just the bar ends that make it cool)

Russell, The principle of the flex stem comment related to the bike not the suspension medium, the principle of the flex stem is not the elastomer (otherwise RC35's and Manitou's wouldn't be cool) but instead the principle of the flex stem is a hinged pivot and all the inherent weaknesses of such a thing to only acheive a limited amount of travel.

I think that the original proflex bikes were real trail blazers and did a lot in the early days to help full XC suss on its way. Volvo invented the 3 point seat belt which has saved countless lives, Volvo's are not cool per se. QED... Proflex are not automaticly cool just because it was a good idea.

Now the Boulder Gazelle is cool but that's another story! ;)

Back