Retro kit on a modern frame

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Anyone use older derailleurs/shifters on newer builds? Don't seem to like the modern stuff and was considering fitting older kit. Any opinions? Big no no? Why????

currently thinking about doing this with a frame from wold ranger (sorry for not replying too pm, im trying to forget your selling it ;) )

id be looking at 96 parts on a 2002 frame, would be nice to hear other peoples opinions...

ps this includes your bits Kaiser!

retro/modern

I'm currently gathering the parts to build my 2007 Dekerf Team SST.

I wantd to have a retrobike/'bikeforspecialocassions' but it would have to able to be ridden hard. I always wanted a Dekerf and when I won one on Ebay I was completely surprised!
I already found a NOS RaceFace RealSeal headset and a Pecision rear mech. I pretty sure that the hubs will be White Industries and I think the crankset will be Syncros. The plan is to have rideable in the summer.

Although I have the Dekerf now, I'm hooked on RB so I guess the first retrobike isn't far!!

I'm using a set of NOS Cooks and a Sachs Neos front mech on my modern Seven, no problems at all. I love the quality feel and handmade look of the old kit rather than the cookie cutter new stuff

Pete, did your bar choice have an effect on you using sachs stuff too?

kaiser":ts0zj3nk said:
Pete, did your bar choice have an effect on you using sachs stuff too?

My rear mech is a new Dura Ace and the shifters are Pauls/Dura ace thumbies so will work with all bars. I originally had a set of Sram XO and triggers which (although not recommended) worked perfectly with the Jones bars (Jeff used to use a set himself), I just didn't like the look of the Sram stuff (wasn't shiny enough) so the XO has been relegated to the girlfriends bike. To be honest I can't see any difference in using the Sachs over the sram front mech - I would have loved to use a triple Dura Ace but they don't do a top pull and I wasn't going to use pullies of stuff.

I love those Jones bars as they put your hands in a really natural place but I reckon I may go for a wide Seven custom bar with a massive sweep next so that I have the full option of gripshift etc

Excellent stuff. I have a pair of bar cons that I was considering using with M900 or dura ace triple. Had thought about sram but again not so keen on the aesthetics. Should say I'm looking for shifters to go on a groovy bar.

Anyway made a start and will have a syncros forged chainset on its way :D

Before I sold my only modern bike, this is how I ran it.

Retro bar, stem, tyres, saddle, grips and chainset.

Hated the original upright position and fully black cranks, so this worked far better for me, until I sold it and got my Zaskar LE.

side_177.jpg

If anything, I tend to do the opposite and use new components on older frames - seems to make more sense that way .
If I've got a nice frame that I like that is 10 or 15 years old I'll happily put new wheels, drivetrain, disc brakes etc on it.

Andy R":2a9cvyd3 said:
If anything, I tend to do the opposite and use new components on older frames - seems to make more sense that way .
If I've got a nice frame that I like that is 10 or 15 years old I'll happily put new wheels, drivetrain, disc brakes etc on it.

Yup have no aversion to that either if it works or looks good, though theres not many going the new frame/old kit way, I geuss not too many new frames lend themselves to the older style components.

Back