GT Lightning weight weenie progress

Weight

They're in my LBS, there's a lot of light kit on it, as I said the bars and stem 2getha are sub 200g, Mechs are sub 300 for both, Superonic tubes 97g each. XTR chainset would be heavier and don't like 44 big rings, Whats wrong woth Brit Kit on it anyway? Pace forks are much easier to service, lighter and look far better and work well, not at all bothered whats politically correct, thats for Wuss's! It looks and rides well, thats all that matters to me! :D

18 lbs with a full complement of gears and front suss?? I must be going wrong then!
My Single speed Hei Hei has carbon and magnesium rigid RC31's, Ti BB, Ti bolts, Ti chainring bolts, carbon post, Supersonic tubes and Bonty Jones tyres, Cooks RSR's single speed with TA front ring and an alloy Surley sprocket, KMC X9 SL chain, Ti bars, Real levers, bar tape, Ti stix etc etc and comes out at 17.9 lbs on some really accurate fishing scales. Even with all the kit you have on there I think 18 is a tad optimistic- would love to be proved wrong though, it's a rather nice looking machine and looks like it will ride real well.

Si

That does seem light, my Merlin with Crossmax and Sids weighed in over 22lbs, but I didn't have all the Ti bolts so who knows

How light can a bike get before its too featherweight and the handling
is affected?
I feel a bit happier with the extra weight and stronger kit, got the S-Works built up and it's about 24lb,just right for me ride and confidence wise

Huntso":sa67njp0 said:
How light can a bike get before its too featherweight and the handling is affected?
I feel a bit happier with the extra weight and stronger kit, got the S-Works built up and it's about 24lb,just right for me ride and confidence wise

Here here.

24/25lbs is where I feel happiest. Not too heavy, not too light. A happy balance.

18lbs is road terratory, and there is no way I'd feel happy thrashing a bike about in the woods that is the weight of a fecking road bike :shock:

swap to a Middleburn Duo, you can then go to a medium or perhaps even a short cage rear and double front mech. See if a swap of Gripshift right for an XT thumbie saves anything.

If you have excess seatpost over a safe 100mm inside the seat tube, chop it.

Theres nothing wrong with a 18lb build if used accordingly. It great for XC and trail centre red routes- I sure wouldn't want to launch it of big drop offs into rock gardens but I wouldn't do that on any retro rig anyway. All the bits on Wolds bike are tried and tested and can be found on any build- same with mine, it's just all those light bits have been combined together to make a light bike as a whole.

Not thumbies they weigh more if I remember (~190g) unless you get Suntour XC but they are still not as light, Gripshift are just plastic, and a very small amount of metal and for SRT's they around around 120g Also they would just look wrong.

What's all this about swapping components to double rings, I assume this is suppose to be a full build not a half build weight weenies project :roll:

what Cassette is is by the way ?

Weight for all the doubters

Breakdown of actual weights (from my Assayed scales) Another 2 pounds would be very easy, as a Ti Cassette would take off another 80+g, plenty of 150 saddles now, Maxlite tyres another 320g KCnc Brakes another 150g, Foam Grips,-25, Seatclamps a plenty sub 15g, sub 1400g wheelset? Oh yes and I know I haven't included pedals, as I keep swapping these!
Where people go wrong is with the big stuff, like tyres Cassette and BB also Skewers Shimano V's these is over a quarter of a pound alone.

Frame (inc Bottle cage bolts) 1430
Wheels 1573
Skewers (Control Tec Ti Allen) 44
Tubes (Conti Supersonic) 190
Tyres 943
V Brakes(inc all Ti Bolts) 306
Brake Levers 140
Shifters 138
Grips 54
Bars Titec 53cms 90
Stem Syntace inc cap + TiKit 95
Headset (King) 97
Forks 1390
BB 157
Cranks/Bolts n Rings 601
Seatpost(cut down Easton Carbon) 165
Saddle (Flite Ti) 215
Seat Clamp 41
Cassette n Chain 504
Front Mech 95
Rear Mech 183
Cables 143
8594 Total (18.9 in English)

Pickle":1sjcas5s said:
Huntso":1sjcas5s said:
How light can a bike get before its too featherweight and the handling is affected?

Here here.

24/25lbs is where I feel happiest. Not too heavy, not too light. A happy balance.

18lbs is road terratory, and there is no way I'd feel happy thrashing a bike about in the woods that is the weight of a fecking road bike :shock:

road bike weight a lot less than that , around the 6kg is not unsual now , even with stock products , nothing exotix ( aprt from wheels ) .

Re: Weight for all the doubters

Wold Ranger":1cdhs7c4 said:
Breakdown of actual weights (from my Assayed scales) Another 2 pounds would be very easy, as a Ti Cassette would take off another 80+g, plenty of 150 saddles now, Maxlite tyres another 320g KCnc Brakes another 150g, Foam Grips,-25, Seatclamps a plenty sub 15g, sub 1400g wheelset? Oh yes and I know I haven't included pedals, as I keep swapping these!
Where people go wrong is with the big stuff, like tyres Cassette and BB also Skewers Shimano V's these is over a quarter of a pound alone.

Frame (inc Bottle cage bolts) 1430
Wheels 1573
Skewers (Control Tec Ti Allen) 44
Tubes (Conti Supersonic) 190
Tyres 943
V Brakes(inc all Ti Bolts) 306
Brake Levers 140
Shifters 138
Grips 54
Bars Titec 53cms 90
Stem Syntace inc cap + TiKit 95
Headset (King) 97