Audi RS6, the ultimate retro ride transportation device!

I know there are a few Saab lovers on here .

In a house next to one of my ride i see an old SAAB . i mean really old . I dont think owner is bothered about it as it is full of green moss . It looks like an estate with a rounded bonnet .

I am onto my 3rd 9000. Current one has 175bhp 2l turbo. I take it mountain biking to Wales etc and sleep in the boot!! The bikes can fit in the front seats while i sleep :D

Ideal for our family holidays but also when I'm on my own goes like sh!t off a shovel.

It's also very retro 1993 K-reg. ;)

The RS6 is pushing it a bit on the retro front. Retro cars have chrome and carbies.

Here's a couple of shots of some of my Dad's retro drives, which I've had a hand in finding and sorting out.

The first is an Aussie Mini Clubman GT which unlike the UK 1275GT is basically a full house Cooper S (Aussie spec engine which also had more power than the UK ones etc) in a Clubman shell. Less than 1000 made in 71-72 and about 200 known to survive. Also in a nice retro "poo brown" colour.

The second is a 74 Leyland P76 Targa Florio, so named as one of these won the special stage around the Targa Florio course in the 1974 World Cup Rally. As a bit of trivia for those unfamiliar with these the boot is big enough to easily fit a 44 Gallon drum in with the lid closed and thus will easily swallow a lot of bikes for those trips away.

RS6 is nothing compared to these ;).

Attachments

• p76.jpg
    p76.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 2,855
  • ClubmanGT.jpg
    ClubmanGT.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 2,855
Hi Melvin,

I'd heard bout the Cruijff connection before. Think there was a fil made about him as well and his journeys in the car. When he moved to Barcelona or Milan or something later to play he drove the car all the way there and became quite faous for it....

The one used by (originally) de Gaulle was the DS madde by Chapron in Paris and then later the SM 'Presidential' (pic below) which was modified with four doors, was slightly wider and had massively uprated brkes (already immensely powerful) to cope with the weight and altered gear ratios... It was also one of only two convertibles made (the other being privately done and based on the two door model). Needless to say these two are not 'common as konas' and you only get to see them at very special gatherings (normally in Paris) and sometimes at Retromobile...

orange71":9sbmad8q said:
I know there are a few Saab lovers on here .

In a house next to one of my ride i see an old SAAB . i mean really old . I dont think owner is bothered about it as it is full of green moss . It looks like an estate with a rounded bonnet .

I am onto my 3rd 9000. Current one has 175bhp 2l turbo. I take it mountain biking to Wales etc and sleep in the boot!! The bikes can fit in the front seats while i sleep :D

Ideal for our family holidays but also when I'm on my own goes like sh!t off a shovel.

It's also very retro 1993 K-reg. ;)

My father has a 9000 2.3 Low Pressure Turbo (LPT) Anniversary. He bought it new in 1997 and it has done 140k kms since then. It only needed new tyres and that kind of regular stuff. Very reliable car.

The 9000 is a comfortable, roomy, save way of transport and they are relively economical and environmental friendly (for a car their size)

The interior design looks really up to date for a car designed in 1984. Exterior has had a face lift in 1991. I can think of newer cars that look way more dated.

They are excellent bike carriers with the huge and easy accesable (huge door) boot.

Actually I pushed my father to buy it back then in 1997 and not another Mercedes. I didn't like the new E design and they also lost a bit of their build quality at that time.

2nd hand 9000s can be had at a bargain. I think they are heavily underrated cars.

Personally I do have a 1993 900i-16. It is not as good, but I am very happy with it as it is a joy to ride and I think it is stylish.

This pic provides a glimpse of my fathers 9000:

IMG_1100800.jpg

The green 900 is mine.

- Melvin

Hi Andrewl,

Both nice cars! I do not know the Leyland. Is it an Australian specific model? It doesn't look very European to me.

Elev12k":26jc83eh said:
Hi Andrewl,

Both nice cars! I do not know the Leyland. Is it an Australian specific model? It doesn't look very European to me.

Yes it's Australian specific, although a couple did make it to the UK. The wheels in that shot aren't original but the reflective side stripes are.

They were allegedly styled by Micholetti around the same time as the Triumph TR7 hence the 70s wedge shape. Under the bonnet they came with a 4.4 litre Leyland Australia development of the Rover alloy V8.

Despite the size of the car they are relatively light with a kerb weight of just over 1200kg and get along very nicely.

Its not a pretty car but as they are pretty rare it does draw a bit of attention with those old enough to know what it is. :)

mr2 turbo meself sw22 240bhp rwd
and before you say "thats not much use as a bike carrier" i can get my
stinky and my s/s in and still drive it
btw saab's are driven by ugly people (so im told)
the rounded bonnet one might be a 96

mike

Mike,

By seeing your Avatar I must conclude it is way more likely they drive MR2s.

Back