"Platsa Blue" 95 Explosif Singlespeed

Nice picture with the frost :cool:

Is the stem colour matched? I'm thinking of doing that with my current build, sweet ride.

You see !! - the seal of approval from StarTREK..... ein ?

Yes, the stem is colour matched (if you've seen any ads. for the Orange R8 you'll see that they've copied that, and the colour too :LOL: ).
It's only a crappy old Ridgeback stem, but now that I've got a 70mm Raceface Deus to replace it with I'll do that the same.

The frost does go well with it, I should have used the photo for my Christmas cards ( or maybe not.... :oops:) - now it's all back to rain and mud everywhere.

GrumbleJay":230aij82 said:
Love it! And to my eyes it looks retro
And excuse me if I upset the Pace worshipers - but isn't it equally as retro (or unretro) as this more recent post:

I've given up bothering about whether it's "retro" or not to be honest :cool: .
I'm just very pleased that it all worked out so well as a build - everyone who's had a ride on it seems to love it, which is unusual really, as a bike that suits one person someone else might hate.

I also like the fact that it's all very "un-bling" - no anodising or trick-looking stuff, just the minimum needed to do the job. Very "cute" and un-macho...I'm glad that I took the time to remove all the braze-ons from the frame that I wasn't going to need, because that makes it look a whole lot tidier and smoother.
It was a toss-up whether it was "Platsa Blue" or pink (like the Bianchi PUSS). My wife had the final word and she decided on that blue.

If I could find another frame (or a 17") I'd build another the same, but using a Shimano Alfine IG hub for the rare times when I feel the need for gears. I've rather gone off normal derailleur gears now - I like the silence and clean look without them.

Stunning and if you enter it into bike of the month it will get my vote.

Must admit that I find it bizarre that a '95 frame isn't considered retro just because it has modern kit. There's a Dogs BOLX that's been modernised sat quite happily in the pre '98 readers bikes.
:shock:

Thank you guys, but you really are far too complimentary :oops:

It'll probably be out tomorrow for an exploratory run round some new trails that I've found - I might take a few "dirty" photos of it en route, just to show that it does get used... :cool:

Lovely colour and as mentioned looks very clean and uncluttered. Is that an eccentric b/b that tensions the chain?

Oh, and see what you say about the colour matched stem but for me a black stem to match the black post would emphasise the no nonsense build even more (although this is splitting hairs).

ededwards":735k3u08 said:
Lovely colour and as mentioned looks very clean and uncluttered. Is that an eccentric b/b that tensions the chain?

Oh, and see what you say about the colour matched stem but for me a black stem to match the black post would emphasise the no nonsense build even more (although this is splitting hairs).

Ed -
The BB is the Trickstuff Exzentriker - it does the job very well in my experience, the only negative point being that you don't have as much "throw" as with something like a Bushnell EBB, only enough to compensate for about 1/2" chain length in total, so depending on gearing and chainstay length some people might have to use a half link.

You're limited, of course, by how much a 24mm HT2 spindle can be moved "off centre" in a standard 1.37" BB shell. Allowing some clearance the theoretical maximum would be about 8mm, I think that the Exzentriker manages about 6mm.
Anyway, I can use 32:18 or 32:19 with no problems and I'm not likely to need to change that to anything else (unless I go to live somewhere like Lincolnshire or East Anglia, which isn't going to happen...)

Some might say that it seems an expensive way to achieve what a £15 tensioner would do, but having tried that way I think this is a big improvement. Looks (and is) a lot tidier, runs quietly (unlike some tensioners) and no chain clatter on bumpy, rocky descents (which spring loaded tensioners will still allow to an extent).
Also, "push-up" tensioners (like the Surly) can make it a pain to get the wheel in and out - I had to take the skewer out to do this. "Pull-down " would be easier in this respect, but that's not the way to go.

In my opinion the two best methods for SS chain tensioning are EBB or sliding vertical dropouts with integrated disc mount (Paragon, or for OEM stuff, Kona or VooDoo). I would have used the Paragon sliders, but the frame would have needed extensive re-working of the stay angles to keep the wheelbase where I wanted it to be.
Sorry - this is becoming another of my lengthy "essays" on SS philosophy..... :oops:

You could be right about the black stem, although I still like the colour matched one too. If I can find a black 70mm x 8 degree Thomson stem at a reasonable price I'll probably throw one of those on it. I only did the colour matched thing because it had "Ridgeback" written all over it....

Andy.

Back