B***ard road tyres... Help.

Thanks but I've given up on the idea too! Managed to fit some other tyres (that went on using thumbs only :roll: ) so sticking with them. Will be selling the other ones. Shame as they're really nice tyres otherwise.

peanut":2t7v1amh said:
orange71":2t7v1amh said:
yes - it's cotton... :(

tough luck :roll: I have to say I would never buy another Campag wheel or part as long as I live . Most of it is made to arbitrary tolerences with poor quality contol and the most appalling finish quality imaginable.

The freehubs on Khamsins and vento's are rubbish and there are dozens of posts around the net about premature failures.

Take any Campag cassette like Mirage Veloche etc and compare the finish with a similarly priced Shimano part after a couple of 100 miles .
Compare the finish of a chainset or brake caliper and you'll find Shimano remove all the casting residue and polish properly wheras the Campag componants are rough and unpolished. I rest my case :D

Im generally using older componants, but I think the complete opposite. I don't run Shimano on any of my road bikes.

If you're running old campag good luck,its worse than the new stuff(which actually is pretty good nowadays)the stuff from the late 80's-early 90's though :oops:
Probably ok as long as you don't want to do any mileage :LOL:

NickD":3gijxy7s said:
Im generally using older componants, but I think the complete opposite. I don't run Shimano on any of my road bikes.

I don't think about it

I am simply observing what is patently obvious . I run both Campag and Shimao stuff from 8 speed to 10 speed and the difference in finishing is marked whether you like it or not. ;)

Schwalbe city jet 1.5 on a DT Swiss disc rim. Took me about half an hour to fit, and does not sit straight at all, despite another half hour of mucking about. The centre ridge wanders about 1cm either way. Quite a weird experience when riding it! I'll sort it out when I get a moment.

mk1Matt":r685pxq9 said:
Schwalbe city jet 1.5 on a DT Swiss disc rim. Took me about half an hour to fit, and does not sit straight at all, despite another half hour of mucking about. The centre ridge wanders about 1cm either way. Quite a weird experience when riding it! I'll sort it out when I get a moment.

:D :D :D picture please :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I like the new road tyres with the big lettering look pretty good. you've put me off now :roll:

peanut":2s8o14sm said:
NickD":2s8o14sm said:

I don't think about it

I am simply observing what is patently obvious . I run both Campag and Shimao stuff from 8 speed to 10 speed and the difference in finishing is marked whether you like it or not. ;)

Before 8 speed, Campag were miles ahead.

Since then, based on the stuff I have (mainly high end) cranks and shifters - Campag are better, Mechs are pretty even, calipers and hubs, Shimano have the edge. It would be a bugger trying to get that lot to work together though, and I stick with modern(ish) Campag as I much prefer Ergo to Sti.

The most modern component is a set of Record cranks, and I can see no issue with the finishing on those :?

For me it wasn't worth the hassle of an ergo shifter packing up at the critical moment of a race,again :x On the race bikes I've run campag and Shimano,both work just the jap stuff is more reliable in the heat of a race.Running Sram on the Super6 though and so far am quite impressed.

NickD":mlh65d56 said:
Before 8 speed, Campag were miles ahead.

Since then, based on the stuff I have (mainly high end) cranks and shifters - Campag are better, Mechs are pretty even, calipers and hubs, Shimano have the edge. It would be a bugger trying to get that lot to work together though, and I stick with modern(ish) Campag as I much prefer Ergo to Sti.

The most modern component is a set of Record cranks, and I can see no issue with the finishing on those :?

Ah I can't comment on high end Campag as I've never used it. I use shimano because I like STi hoods they suit my big mits.
at the lower end of the scale I thing Shimano have it on finish though. Campag veloche and mirage cassette sprockets are simply appalling. The plating wears off within a few weeks and they all look a nasty grey colour

Latest posts

Back