KOna Lavadome or not??

Hotgolf

Retro Guru
Righty all, I've picked this up on ebay and it arrived today.
Now the seller has told some porkies which I'll mail him about as the condition is bloody aweful, but my main concern is that is it really a lavadome or not?
4bfc_1.JPG

Now it's been painted hammerite green, but the colour underneath is black, and the decals have been painted around.
Components are Promax V brakes and handle bar, LX rear mech and from what i can see an FD30 front mech.
These could be factory decals or aftermarket as the frame is that bad.
Now he's said it's a 2001 in black with glow in the dark decals.
It's definalty a Knoa as the rear dropouts have a nive Kona stamp on them.
Have I been had or not?

That looks like a Lava Dome alright, but its not a 2001 (at least I think). The 2001s were orange. The 1998s, however, were forest green, and had a few of the parts specced on your machine.

Hi Hotgolf,it looks like your frame is a 2000 Lava Dome but i`m not sure about the forks/headset and stem.
It looks like your frame has a threaded headset with threaded P2 forks and a quilled Velocity stem which were used on earlier (up to 94/5) Konas.

Please check out this link for the full spec.

http://www.kona.dk/bikeindex.php?bikeId=241

kOna

Thanks for verifying :D
Had a look at the spec list for the 2000 Lavadome and it has the option for both the Project 2's or the sus forks, so I'm assuming the forks are ok, although the stem and a few of the other bits have been added later.

Had the frame in the hot tank in work and most of the hammerite has bubbled off, but I'm going to strip it back to bare metal and 2 pack it up in a pastel colour and build it up with a DX groupset.

Thanks again :D

Cant imagine why they would have sourced a threaded stem, headset and forks tho if it was an option. Surely it would have been an aheadstem version if it was an option.

I reckon its earlier.

I reckon its a 1996 era. Just a hunch...

HI,top mounted cable stops came in 1996 and A-Headset followed in 1997.
Going back to the orignal thread,maybe you should check the length of the P2 forks and makesure they are the longer "Suspension Corrected" version as using the shorter P2 forks in a suspension geometry frame may make the steering a tad twitchy.

My old pre suspension P2 measure approx 385mm from axle centre to the lower headset boss face.
Hope this helps.

Back