Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robin’s Ibis

• Mr K’s Kona

• Total voters
jez-4-bikes-max":epvv9wn0 said:
I only won once! Back in 1945...

Ah, the memorable post war, rationed BOTM - 12 black raleighs all with brooks saddles. I seem to remember you won that one by ensuring your woods valves were lined up with the Dunlop logos and you'd blinged it out with a union jack to celebrate VE day! :LOL:

pete_mcc":35i3sz3y said:
jez-4-bikes-max":35i3sz3y said:
I only won once! Back in 1945...

Ah, the memorable post war, rationed BOTM - 12 black raleighs all with brooks saddles. I seem to remember you won that one by ensuring your woods valves were lined up with the Dunlop logos and you'd blinged it out with a union jack to celebrate VE day! :LOL:

Are you sure they were Raleighs?
"Black with Brooks' saddles and Woods' valves, all blinged out with Union Jack logos." :?:

:roll: Throw in some: 650b rims, mudguards, a chain-guard a few grease niipples and a pith helmet and you've got the specification for a Cleland. :roll:

But don't get me started on grease nipples?

:idea: Maybe they were made by Geoff Apps' Dad, for the Burma' campaign? :idea:

:oops: I mean the bikes, not the grease nipples! :oops:

Pace & Cleland engineering

There are some interesting links between the engineering solutions chosen for the Pace and the earlier Cleland bikes.

Both use 90mm Bullseye bottom brackets which run on needle bearings and selarate thrust bearings. (Clelands have used these since 1982 and owners have found that they last a lot longer if lubricated with oil and not with grease)

Why do so many of todays bikes still use 70mm, road bike, bottom bracket shells and then have to bend the chainstays and cranks in order to squeeze in a fat tyre?

Also, Highpath Engineering' built Clelands had asymmetrical rear triangles to improve the chain line and allow a stronger un-dished rear wheel to be used, as did Pace.

Great British engineering at its best!

Did any other makers use these solutions in the 80s/early 90s?

I didn't know the PACE RC100 had needle roller bearings with separate thrusts- mine must be a one-off then as it runs regular 22mm sealed cartrage bearings, rear wheel also has a regular offset dished wheel too.
:LOL:

Looks like this month is going down to the wire again- will BOTM ever be easy?

Si

Post subject: Pace & Cleland engineering

This is where my information comes from.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... ewsIndex=1

The Cleland, 90mm Bullseye' units are difficult to maintain as the seals aren't very good. If the bearings fail they tend to damage the axle as well.
Replacement units are tricky to find and I can't find replacement bearings fitted with seals.

Highpath's use their own 110mm bottom brackets with sealed cartridge bearings. The inner seals are removed and grease nipples are fitted. It's similar to that found on the propeller shafts of boats. Totally bombproof!

Back