PC not recognising new RAM

your hd needs a certain amout of space to move data around .if the space is to o small then it will freeze.at 96 percent fella thats not even enough to defrag let alone run the pc properly .as they say external hds are teh way to go ...dead cheap too. :p

Thanks for the info. Does this mean i would clear my c drive thingamajiggy?

I will get on to it post haste!

Cheers,Al

Copy your entire HD on to disc's[theres a files transfer wizard]
Then wipe your entire HD ,reinstall your OP
You can then view the files on the discs and transfer to the now cleaned system the files you want to keep,pics ,programs,games etc
Dump the rest
Or buy an external HD[and 80GB is pretty cheap nowadays]
And transfer the majority of your onboard HD to the external

Wow!

I may get a grown up to help me. :?

Cheer's,Al

Very kind! :D

But i'm affraid it would be like helping a hedgehog out of a disgarded crisp packet,only to watch it get squashed by a passing car!

Cheers,Al :roll:

Russel I got the PM but only just remembered to reply,
BIOS, give it ago, at the least it should reset thing a bit (did you go in to the BIOS and reset to make it recheck for things.)
It does say that the chipset can take 3GB, though only having the two slots cuts this down to the 2GB (2x1GB). Run's up to DDR400 (PC3200) and certainly 1GB per DIMM (as it says)

I could put more thigns down to try (CPU-Z for example) but why bother when we really know a
shiney new laptop would be a better, easier let alone fast in both CPU and graphics option ;-)

P.S. It could be the integrated graphics has decided to take 1GB on that would mean it would normally only show 1GB in windows, though I assume it still only shows the 2x512GB in the statup POST.

Russell":oh3a6n7h said:
I had 512MB RAM in my PC, but it will take 2GB (2x1GB sticks).

Bought the new RAM (it is the right stuff), but the PC is only recognising 512MB from each bank so its now showing 1GB, not the 2GB it should be.

I had exactly this problem at one time! The only solution is to upgrade the motherboard (or buy a new PC). The RAM is working fine but the chipset on the motherboard can't cope with high capacity chips. This isn't something that a BIOS update will solve unfortunately.

Xesh":2gcaihsu said:
Russell":2gcaihsu said:
I had 512MB RAM in my PC, but it will take 2GB (2x1GB sticks).

Bought the new RAM (it is the right stuff), but the PC is only recognising 512MB from each bank so its now showing 1GB, not the 2GB it should be.

I had exactly this problem at one time! The only solution is to upgrade the motherboard (or buy a new PC). The RAM is working fine but the chipset on the motherboard can't cope with high capacity chips. This isn't something that a BIOS update will solve unfortunately.

The PC manufacturer says that the MB/chipset will run 2x1gb.

Back