B***ard road tyres... Help.

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I hate road tyres with a passion. How the hell are you supposed to put them back on without puncturing the inner tube? I have just got through 1 pump (smashed in frustration), 1 tyre lever (snapped), 3 tubes punctured by attempts to put tyre back on. And then once the tube is in place the rim is so deep you can't fit a pump to the valve... need long valve tubes too.

Is it just tight fitting tyres or what?????

Any tips to get the tyre back on? Fairy liquid? What else?

God help me if I puncture out on the road :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Think I'll stick to mountain bikes :D

the backs of old style cuttlery - doesnt pinch the innertube

Oh, and a good dictionary of swear words.

I can see why bike shops have an old frame lying around with a hammer next to it so you can vent your frustrations on it... :LOL:

i used to have to do a few of them a week when i ran a shop

im assuming you know to get the bead in the centre of the rim at its deepest point ?

ive never liked using levers

i start by having the tyre on with one bead

put just enough air into the tube so it isnt completely flat

stick it in the tyre

poke the valve through the rim

pop the tube so its in the centre of the rim

start seating the bead from the valve

at about halfway push the first half of the bead into the centre of the rim and deflate the tube a touch

keep pushing the bead into the centre of the rim and deflating the tube a little at a time until your thumbs are aching and you push the last bit on

make sure the bead is evenly seated all the way and inflate a bit , check again and lastly put to desired pressure

have a cuppa and mutter to yourself about proper roadies having multiple sets of wheels :LOL:

sage advice - will try it.

I'm sure my other set of tyres wasn't anywhere near this bad, but I appreciate all tyres are different. Same with MTBs.

Same as above ^^^, but starting 90° from the valve when getting the 2nd bead on.

Its all about getting the right tyre/rim combination, Bontrager folding tyres and mavic rims work well. I had a Huchinson blue line tyre that was a sod on mavic rims but went on easy on Araya. Folding tyres go on better than non folding tyres. IMHO

you could put a bit of talc on the tube

its been found that the main cause for snakebites ( not much of a road problem :LOL: ) is infact due to the tube being stretched against the inner of the tyre ( imagine 2 rubber surfaces rubbing against each other , one will tear ) and not from the rim hitting the ground

it could help a little if the tyre is new

if you have an old tube lying in the corner of your shed/garage there will be some inside it or you could use the chalk stuff included in puncture repair kits

I struggled for more than ten minutes today to get a Chunder 2.30 off a DT 540. Front one came off in ten seconds, rear one, would it budge would it buggery.

Just shows how much variance there is in tyres.

Are you trying Schwalbe tyres by any chance? I find these the worst of the lot. The bead stretches a bit after the tyre's been on and off once though and is a bit easier.

Back