What motivates you to buy a particular car?

wooly pluto

Retro Guru
Hmm,

last Sunday I was helping my company mates with famous local Barbórka Rally in Warsaw / Poland in which our Team with Suzuki Swift S1600 was participating (5th position in overall JWRC classification :cool: ). Good fun for Sunday, as I had thought a day before - we shall see and hear a rally car and you know, see it being serviced etc. Went with my Mrs, who had a chance to jump into a car and have a co-drive with Mr Kościuszko in a Super 1600 car on this occasion.

The week before we were planning to replace old Laguna with new 5-door calm Swift for my Mrs, but Sunday changed all.

In result, the planned 5-door Swift went away and I had to sign for a 125-bhp Swift Sport which is a base car for a N-Group vehicle in fact - as you may to be driven by my Mrs.

What is worse - a fresh love for rallies may, according to her, result in a uncontrolled stream of purchases such as rally gloves, shoes and tons of accesories. That seems like a revenge to all my retrobike and classic cars involvement - also considering purchases :? :D

So, as car related topics are pretty popular on retrobike, what motivates you during car purchase? Any funny stories behind that?

Attachments

• The Real Thing.JPG
    The Real Thing.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,800
In Denmark where we pay 3 times the going rate for a motor...

The decision process goes something like this....

What does it cost?
When is the next MOT?
What's the mileage?
What is fuel consumption?
What does the insurance cost?
What is the road tax?

When you've got that out of the way you can start on stuff like
How many does it seat?
What's the luggage capacity?
What's the car actually capable of?

I always get emotional when I see what cars cost back in the UK.

We have a 9 year old Pug 306 1.6 XT estate. Cost us equivalent of £8000.
And we weren't ripped off. A new 308 costs about £40000.

And you people talk about rip-off Britain.

If you could see what i have just bought ,you would probably wee with laughter! :shock:

Its a new vw project that will be unveiled at the Volksworld show 09.

Its a bit hush hush at the mo'!

I would like a spin in one of those Swift Sport things though.

Cheers,Al

So, Denmark seems like more or less most of clever people do all over the world. But then some petrolhead like me comes and buys the car which is totally opposite the list :D :D

I remember the time when I wanted Benz 190 2.3-16 and all arguments against - what do you need it for, do you really need it, it's black, it's old, it looks like a cabinet, where are you going to drive it, it's loud and so on. In case of the new Swift of my Mrs, fuel consumption doesn't matter, 4 seats are OK, two door - yes it's enough, luggage capacity is smaller than in Laguna - who needs it big luggage space? It's loud, well OK.... :D :D :D

However, I drove one stock Swift Sport recently (with competition brake pads only) and I must say that the smile was on my face all the time. That made my decision a little bit easier :D .
I hope I can drive it sometimes :D :D :D

as long as it brings you from A to B it is fine....

and it carries a Maserati Quattroporte logo :LOL: ;)

Back