Old 'Cross Bike SS'er

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
As mentioned on the Cannock meet thread I've dug out my old 'cross frame (an old Paul Milnes one) and SS'ed it. At the moment it's in 'trial' mode just to see if it will work - which first impressions riding up the road seem to think it will - but what do you experienced SS'ers think? Is it usable?

The chainwheel is 36 but some of the teeth (3 sets of 3) are the 'smaller' type early indexing sort. It's fitted to some M730 XT cranks using the inner position to get the chain line better, all on an old road 113 axle.

The sprocket is currently a Hyperglide cassette using the 19 tooth which I intend to single with spare spacers etc. Are Hyperglide sprockets OK? I also have some spare old Ultraglide ones, would these be better?

When fitting the lock ring using cassette type fittings, do you need to use the 'first' sprocket to allow the 'lockring' to fit properly and 'click' into place?

Please bare with me on this, I'm an SS virgin :oops:

PS - the plastic pedals are only there to make it rideable, they'll be changed!

Attachments

• SScrossBikeDec08.1.A.jpg
    SScrossBikeDec08.1.A.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,115
Just use the spacers (without the first sprocket) and don't worry about losing the "clickiness" . It'll be fine.

I'd use a SS sprocket though, rather than one taken from a cassette.
The full depth teeth are much less likely to allow the chain to de-rail.

As the guys above say really, try to get chainline as good as possible and although you can use ramped rings and cassette sprockets they will try to autoshift without the derailleur to keep them in line (easily solved now you have some unramped sprockets on the way though ;) )

MJN":rbassq5p said:
Check out charliethebikemonger he will explain all :!:

Yes, I've seen his site, it's very useful, thanks.

Ed is selling me some sprockets so I'm part way there!

What a great bike Ned, looked like great fun. Enjoyed our little battle, will look forward to another soon.

Full respect to you Ned ... I was in awe of you ability to blast around Cannock on skinny 700c tyres and dispatch folk on wide MTB tyres on the rough stuff. I love how simple the bike is with purposeful kit like the old DX canti's.

Latest posts

Back