Team Raleigh Dyna-Tech ex Adrian Timmis. Finished Project.

Thank you to Dr.S for supplying me with these images of Team Raleigh 1992.

scan0003-1.jpg

scan0002-1.jpg

scan0004-1.jpg

scan0005-1.jpg

UPDATE:

Lots been going on, many involving my bank balance. The bike is now stripped and will slowly start building up the frame once it's had t-cut and a wax. Wheels are still my priority but SJS are holding up the process.

So what have I been buying? Well I think i've done pretty well:

Weinmann Bontrager Rims x2 (from SJS)
White Industries Front Hub (ebay purchase, in the post)
Chris King Threaded Headset in Turquiose/Blue (From Retrobike)
Shimano XTR Threaded Headset (From Retrobike, in the post)
X-lite Disco B.B.X. blue ano Bar plugs (ebay purchase)
X-Lite bar ends (From Retrobike)
ODI Attack grips (from Billy's)
TA Specialities Titanium Bottom Bracket 68x107mm (ebay purchase, £25 bargain!)
Shimano XTR M900 Rear Mech (From Retrobike)
Venhill Titanium Rear Mech Bolt (ebay purchase)
Polished Titanium Water Bottle Bolts (ebay purchase)
USE Titanium 25.0mm Seatpost (From Retrobike)(Could be too short)
USE Seatpost Shim 25.0-26.0 (From CRC)
Bontrager Selle San Marco Ti Racing Pro Saddle (From Retrobike)
Continental Supercross Baja Tyre x 1 (From Retrobike)
Continental Traction Pro Tyres x 2 (From Retrobike)
Continental Cross Country Tyres x 2 (From STW, after Retrobike tip off)
Decals for stem, bars, pedals and a nice touch (from Retrobike gil_m)

Still Wanted:

-USE Titanium Seatpost 25.0mm (must be VGC and of a good length)
-8 speed chain, sachs or HG-91 (must be NOS)
-X-Lite ti skewers in blue (must be VGC-NOS) or Ringle Ti-Stix in blue (must be VGC-NOS)
-Shimano XTR M900 32h rear hub (must be in VGC-NOS)

As you can see i've ordered a couple of the same part, like the headset. I'm not 100% where i'm going with these area of the bikes, but the great thing about retrobike is you can generally get your money back on the bits you don't use.

Here are a couple of pics from a few days ago:

2008_1120Raleigh0003.jpg

2008_1120Raleigh0007.jpg

I know Sithlord has a mint titanium USE seatpost that he might be tempted to sell. Give him a try!

Dr S":2kjco00c said:
I know Sithlord has a mint titanium USE seatpost that he might be tempted to sell. Give him a try!
I think mine is the one you talk of Dr S, did a deal with Sithlord a week back. I think the post will be fine for me but could be embarrassing if Adrian needs it longer (this the difficult thing with this project!). I've asked Adrian to measure his ideal height. The post is not short at 310mm but I don't think it will use all the shim even at my position.

Attachments

• 2008_1122seatpost0003.JPG
    2008_1122seatpost0003.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 4,963
UPDATE:

Not been so well this week, but gathered my strength today to start the build, refurbed a few parts and sorted what parts i'm using and what parts to move on. So this what i've been upto:-

-Stripped as far as possible the M737 SPD pedals ready for a service and respray. Trying to be patient with these as the phillips head bolts are all to easy to strip.

-Wet and dried the cranks from 400 to 2000 grade and then autosoled to a very high shine. These despite lacking their XTR logo's are looking very nice indeed.

-Got together an excellant set of XTR M900 canti's from the various sets and pairs i've been collecting. I now have a cracking set with lovely XTR pads (thanks Ed :D ).

-Stripped down the existing front wheel as I only need the Hope Titanium hub from it. I've got Bontrager rims on M900 hubs arriving in the next few days and will have this hub built into the front wheel. The wheels will then be original.

-Installed an NOS XTR M901 headset. I chose this headset ahead of a Chris King i'd also purchased. I think the XTR fits better with the overall feel of the bike.

-Installed the lovely TA Specialities Titanium bottom bracket, freshly polished chainset, front M900 mech, rear M900 mech, USE titanium seatpost with shim and finally the NOS Bontrager Ti railed saddle.

WANTED:

I'm still looking for that final Continental supercross/baja tyre to finish the project. Also a suitable chainstay protector.

UPTO DATE SPEC:

Frame: Raleigh Dyna-Tech. XMT 100 Metal Composite Titanium Tubing.
Fork: Raleigh Rigid.

Headset: XTR M901 1 1/8" Threaded
Stem: Syncros 0 degree 135mm 1 1/8” Quill Type
Handlebar: X-Lite Titanium 525mm.
Grips: ODI Tomac Attack Black
Barends: X-lite L-bend silver
Bar Plugs: X-lite Disco B.B.X. blue ano

Brakes: Shimano XTR M900 F&R.
Brake Pads: M900 XTR
Brake Cables: Shimano XTR in grey.
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano XTR M900.
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR M900 STI.

Shifters: Shimano XTR M900 STI.
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900 Bottom Pull 28.6mm.
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900, c/w Venhill titanium mech bolt
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XTR grey
Cassette: Shimano XTR M900-8 12-28t.
Chain: Shimano HG-91
Cranks: Shimano XTR M900 175mm
Crank Bolts: Middleburn self extracting.
Chainrings: Shimano SG-X 28-38-48t inner, middle and outer.
Chainring bolts: Middleburn
Bottom Bracket: TA Axix titanium bottom bracket 68 x 107mm
Pedals: Shimano SPD M737.

Hub Skewers: Tune Titanium blue
Rims: Weinmann Bontrager BCX 32h
Hubs: Front Hope titanium in blue, Rear Shimano XTR M900 32h (Retrobike).
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: Front DT Swiss Revolution, Rear Unknown
Tyres: Continental SUPERCROSS/BAJA 26x1.9” (got 1 need another)
Tubes: Continental with presta valve.

Saddle: Bontrager Ti
Seatpost: USE 25.0 Ti fitted with 25.0-26.0 USE shim
Seatpost Binder: Sliding boss which slides over seat tube. Complete with titanium bolt.

A FEW PICS:

2008_1129misc0019.jpg

2008_1129misc0023.jpg

2008_1129misc0024.jpg

2008_1129misc0028.jpg

2008_1129misc0026.jpg

Am enjoying following this restoration, remember reading that MBUK article bitd, Adrian serviced my Pace RC200 when he worked with Gary Foord at my lbs, top bloke, hoping to get along to Cannock to see this lush project completed :cool:

What a fantastic read - excellent attention to detail and great pics too...

You really inspired me to get my Dyna-Tech ready for the Cannock Chase meet. I dont know how you find all the parts so fast, it's really hard to get stuf - unless you throw £££'s at stuff eh? You must be very good at searching fleabay ;)

Well done Senna!

Looking foward to meeting you..

Chaser.

chaser":2njatuao said:
I dont know how you find all the parts so fast, it's really hard to get stuf - unless you throw £££'s at stuff eh? You must be very good at searching fleabay ;)

A bit of both really chaser, this build has cost a lot more than I expected, I guess it's because I'm now dealing in top notch parts. I was lucky enough to have Adrian Timmis's help with this, I received some NOS XTR parts through the post from him the other day, which will really help finish it to a very high standard. I also have been fairly active in the 'wanted' forum, amazing what kit you can find from fellow retrobikers.

I'll update in the next few days as I start to complete the build. I'm just waiting on the stem from the powder coaters, should be getting this in the next few days and a XTR M900 chainset which I want the rings from, which is making it's way from Martin in Holland. The wheels are built so have a rolling chassis, I've used the Continental Cross Country tyres (long term i'll seek out the remaining Supercross/Baja).

Looking forward to Cannock, should be a great day.

LOL :LOL: :LOL: Just seen Cazza bit in the mag article about dislikes ' pro mountainbikers who stay amatuer on the road' - little dig at yours truly I suspect. Once a rebel, always a rebel, I was never going to be told where and when to ride and pay for the privilage of being told :roll: :roll:

Back