Sup’s Single Owner GT [De]evolution - 3rd frame

This used to be a 92 Tequesta I bought new after working several months at my first job. After a few years of riding and the addition of a Rock Shox Quadra, I got the derailleur caught in the spokes and butchered the dropout. At this point, replacement frame was sought yielding this gal below. Sentiment of it being [what is left] my original real mountain bike purchased with my own earnings from my first job compels me to keep her alive.

I don’t have pics of the steel framed Tequesta as digital cameras weren’t a thing in 1992, but it was the blue speckled with white and black.

Here’s the second coming of the old gal;

Initially, I though it was an old Zaskar. Wishful thinking. After lurking here for some time, Supra was schooled, and now recognizes it as a Pantera or Avalanche. The paint was stripped after Supra acquired it, and it was just re-shot a few weeks ago.

The build is sort of a cross between a retro/weenie/mod, so Supra hopes to gain some acceptance to the RetroBike crew.

Here's the build;

GT 16" (Pantera or Avalanche about '94)
Manitou 2 fork
Cane Creen SCX-5 cantilevers
Onza chill pills
SARS headset
Shimano LX M580 cranks
Thomson Elite seatpost
Specialized alloy handlebars
Bontrager stem
Shimano Parallex hubs
Shimano LX derailleurs
Shimano XT STI shifters (7-speed)
Aluminum bolts, nipples, and Ti bolts everywhere
Brake bootsters front and rear (Tektro, Pauls?)
Bontrager Select Invert tires
Wellgo WR-1 Ti pedals
Uno Bar ends

Here's a teaser pic... Nov23_0001.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Utah. The bike was all red when it was acquired. The paint above is a rattle-can special by Artist Supra. Paint added about 98g to total weight. Likely less that factory paint.

The purple parts were on clearance, it seems we know why by the color's rep here. :shock:
Supra was bargain hunting at the time, and bought up a buncha purple alloy parts. Supra is afraid that there are several more purple parts in the pile. :(

There is a current dilemma on fork choice. Supra has a Manitou 2, Manitou 4, and a Manitou Pro-C. Supra is swayed towards the Manitou 2 (it matches the parts :roll: ).
Any suggestions?

Finally finished it.

Specs:
GT 16" Pantera '94
Manitou 2 fork, polished, Manitou 4 crown (the 2's had recalls)
Cane Creen SCX-5 cantilevers, Ti bolts
Onza chill pills
SARS headset
Shimano LX M580 cranks, alum & Ti bolts
Thomson Elite seatpost, Ti bolts
Specialized alloy handlebars '91
Bontrager stem, Ti bolts
Shimano Parallax hubs, Araya rims, alum nipples
Shimano LX derailleurs, alum jockeys
Shimano XT STI shifters (7-speed)
Brake bootsters front and rear (Tektro, Pauls?), alum rear, Ti front bolts
Bontrager Select Invert tires
Wellgo WR-1 Ti pedals
Uno Bar ends, Ti bolts
Cycle King skewer
Dec18_0002.jpg Dec18_0001.jpg

Last edited:
Supra should remove purple as Pickle thinks purple does not suit ;)

Otherwise, a tidy ride.

i like it purple ties forks into the rest of the bike. frame looks cool too

lewis1641":21pxmydp said:
i like it purple ties forks into the rest of the bike

Yes, I see that is why, but would suggest if the purple stays then more is required. Some purple decals would be my suggestion, like the ones I put on my old Zaskar.

Back