Anyone got a Mini Cooper S?

Chewedpencil":1abp2tef said:
Sod it and get a Fabia Vrs.

Mine is remapped etc and keeps up with cooper s' and i still get 68mpg plus on long runs.....

Oh....and the boot on mine doesnt resemble my glovebox like a mini's does!

Personal choice at the end of the day

I have an oil burner at the moment and it's fine; goes quick, great MPG, Zzzzzz.

I've had remapped VAG's before (two, in fact), Skoda are just fine for what they are and obviously the engines are great. I just don't want one. I'd honestly rather spend more and have the VW or Audi badge (i've owned a SEAT and won't touch one again).

But, having recently owned an Audi and not really having any love for VW, i want to try something fun. By all accounts the new Mini Cooper S fulfills that criteria.

Plenty of scope for tuning too, JCW tune to 200bhp and keeping full dealer support is tempting :)

Tallpaul":2udqc4ep said:
Plenty of scope for tuning too, JCW tune to 200bhp and keeping full dealer support is tempting :)

The JCW is 210bhp, you can get the same results for a third of the cost.

If you want a Cooper S get one ignore all the nay sayers,the boot is tiny but the seats fold down and I've had 2 bikes and 2 lots of race kit in mine,what more do you want?(Until kids come along and spoil the party :( ).Mine only did crap mpg cos I floored it everywhere but saying that I drive my Vauxhall Zafira GSI the same and get 27-30mpg,and its quicker in a straight line,just hurrendous round corners :shock: .Fairly soon I'm looking to get another fun car,to run along with the GSI,and may well get another Cooper S,the only other car in the running for me would be an M3.
The power steerng pump never bothered me on mine or on the Mini ONE that we currently still have,the speedo thing does but my 04 S had a 2nd digital speedo under the rev counter.The dealer service was also always 1st class,don't know about service costs cos I had TLC.
Get one :D

I knw what you mean about the whole VW thing though, im getting bored of my fabia...

Im probably reverting back to Vauxhall, as thats what im used to.

As for the minis, we hire out mini ones at work and there nippy as hell so id hate to think or rather love to think what a JCW S is like!

I'd get one if I was in the market for a small sporty car.

-I think the service interval is 20k, so quite a decent time.
-If you have a missus then she will like it. She doesn't like my Clio with the heavy clutch and stop/go acellerator, but liked driving the MCS.
-Nice gearbox.
-Good residuals.
-There are a lot about for sale, so be picky.

We had a 03 plate Cooper S for from new for 3 years. They are fun cars, but completely impractical if you intend to use it for a mode of transport to do any decent mileage or if you intend to have anymore than one passenger or carry any loads.
It got some hard use, but in the time we had it the PAS motor failed and the loom powering the motor had a electrical fry up, it pop'ed two heater matrix's, supercharger belt tensioner failed and gearbox was replaced as lathe shaft bearings were clattering away.
MPG is not great 33mpg was the best we achieved. If you accept that you are going to be filling it regularly with fuel and fixing niggle problems then you can appreciate the car for its fun factor. You have to screw the engine to the redline to get the car hauling at any pace as they really don't feel that torquie compared to other superchargered cars. What they lack in engine grunt they more than make up for in their ability to out handle other vehicles and carry momentum along twisty roads and the brakes inspire confidence. The brake system is exceptionally powerful whist retaining exceptionally good pedal feel and progression.

Its funny but I never really rated the brakes that highly,nothing really wrong with them but had a few 'moments' :shock:

Hee,hee!

A nipper at work bought a Cooper S on a 54 plate,bit of a spur of the moment thing. Anyway he's 19, he'd done the deal and gone home to sort the insurance. Apparently the first 2 brokers laughed down the phone at him and the third one qouted him best part of £2500(ooch!).
He's phoned the dealer to try and opt out of the deal but it appears he's stuck with it.

Glad i'm old then, fully comp, whistle and bells insurance about £300 through Privilege.

I'll see what i can pick up over Christmas. I dunno whether the dealers will be more keen to do a deal now or in January. Only one way to find out!

Back